Running Dual ATI Video Cards in an SLI Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopefisher

Is it possible to run, say, two x1600xt's in an Nforce 4 SLI Ultra motherboard, or does Nvidia prevent this somehow? I currently have an ATI card, but I am not impressed with the crossfire motherboards out there.

No not a chance. The SLI set-up from nVidia is designed for nvidia cards only. CrossFire is designed for ATI cards only. It's an oil and water thing.

You can run two cards to power 4 separate screens for example but you won't be able to run them in CrossFire mode that's all.

thanks, yeah, this answers my question.., well it kinda brings up another, although i am sure i know the answer.

would it be possible then to run an nvidia card & an ATI card in sli/crossfire mode together?

No. You cannot run SLI other then with two similar nVidia cards & you can't run CrossFire other then with two ATI cards.

I doubt that would be possible but the info is quite scarce from ATI's side since it's only been demoed, it's not yet available to consumers.

SLI motherboard and Crossfire motherboards have two completely different chipsets for how the cards are raided together. They display half the screen but in a different way.

For an SLI screen it would look like this. (numbers represent GPU Number):

Crossfire is like this:

If you want the cards raided together you'll need to get a crossfire motherboard. But if you wanted to run 4 monitor's I'm sure an SLI motherboard would work just as well for that, but what's the point? :3 If you want 4 monitors, get a crossfire motherboard and don't use the raid cable! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back