Running in SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjohnson

Ok, so I have a evga 7600GT. It is a fairly cheap card so I was thinking of getting a another one and putting it into SLI mode. I have read allot about it being only worth it if you have a awesome high res capable screen. I am wondering though if I would see any difference in lower resolutions while playing new games like crysis, or COD4. Or would it be practically the same as if I was just running the single card. I know most of you would probably say go get a 8800GT, but frankly that is a bit out of my price range. Though I am not looking for card right now, I was just wondering about this question. A card more in my price range though would be the 8600GT or the ATI 3850 cards.
haha I actually just had a look at newegg, some of the 8800GTs I would be willing to buy which is about the $200 range. (oh seems like they have a ton in stock right now to.) Anyway if anybody has any comments on the SLI thing that would be great, as I was a little curious to this.

Oh heck ya, I know I would like it more. Just when I do want a new video card I can't spend $250 to $300 on it. That is why I was wondering about SLI with a 7600GT. Its only like $80 on newegg so if it will give some better performance in SLI than just with the single one I would do it. SO that is why I am asking this question.

Thanks for that link sorrow. I wonder if I could get better fps while running crysis or cod4 with dual 7600s.

Better FPS yes...Enough to make you run high settings..Crysis No...CoD4 probably =] But the thing is is that the 7600s are showing their age with all these new games...

i've thought about the possibility of sli too sam. as you might recall, i was wondering if i should buy parts that would allow for future video card additions to go sli with. but i was strongly advised against the idea. and i can see the logic. only showing benefits at high resolutions, assuming your monitor can even go that high at all, is kind of lame. especially if you can get the same results with a single card that's powerful enough.

if i were you, i'd just keep saving up. 's what i'm doing. i may not be able to get one for a while, but i know it will be worth it.

If you want a more powerful card that doesn't break the bank, get the HD 3850. It's pretty fast and can be found for about $170 or so.

If you can't get a GT, theres always a GTS Just try to avoid the 8600 and lowers =] They suck and you know it

Ya there is no way I would ever get a 8800GTS, those things are wicked expensive. Rage, I was looking at those ATI cards a while back and figured they probably would be a decent card and for not that much. But when I do want a new one I will see how much the 8800GT's are then. They may come down a bit when Nvidia releases there next set of cards. Thanks for all the input guys. I guess the only way I will go SLI is if I get a 37" LCD TV, which that wouldn't be for a long time to. I don't get a job till this spring. So I will be waiting to spend any more money on this comp till then.

oh man. it will be so worth it. and spring isn't that far away. save up everything you can then go berserk.

hell. if you can, save up so you can get that q6600 you've been wanting ;) , the GT, AND that sexy screen. you'll be very happy for a long time and you'll be glad you waited :D.

Oh yeah I would. Don't think that I will get the q6600 for a while. But ya I think I will check out the 8800GT's prices next june maybe and see what they are doing. :D

hey now. don't forget. intel isn't going to sit back and relax. they'll be making more quad cores, tri cores, dual cores, and whatever other crazy thing they come up with. so the older quads will go down in price too. if i were you, i'd keep tabs on just about everything. there's always a good chance it'll fall below the 250 dollar mark :D.

if all goes well price wise, i'm going to DEFINITELY go for the q6600....if all goes well. more than likely i won't, and instead i'll go after that GT like you're suggesting. but realize. depending on the job, you'll be making easily several hundred dollars a week if you're full time...

actually, what will you be doing? and full or part time?

Ya but if I do want to get the q6600 I will have to buy a whole new motherboard and most likely a new PSU. SO I think that my parents would probably kill me if I spent that much on my comp again. I am supposed to be saving for college and stuff. :)

I plan on getting a job at a office depot as a sales person. We now the manager of a office depot so I figure he could help me get a job. So ya I should be able to make quite a bit a week. Right now I plan on going full time next spring when I turn 18.

ahhhh...i see. i thought your board would fit one. maybe i should look more closely ^^;;;...whoops.

oh well. true that. anyway, yeah saving for college is a good idea...those cursed books are very expensive. here's something to keep in mind though. you can sell books back and get fast cash :D.

i sold my last semester's books earlier last week. i didn't need them, and i'd never use them again. i only kept the ones i knew i'd need. i got quite a pretty penny from it. my college took them back and gave me $153 for them all. not bad considering other places like online sites will only offer half that much.

keep that in mind while saving for your GT ;)

Ya I don't think that a intel chip will fit into a amd socket. Hey there is a thought someone should come up with a "universal" motherboard.
Ya my sister is in college and bought all the books and stuff, she said they were expensive. We will see what the 8800s are like next spring. :)
hopefully my PSU can run it.......... BOOM! lol
it does have a combined total of 32amps on the 12v rails so hopefully that is enough. :D

quantity is no match for quality lol. i can't wait to see what happens. maybe I should buy you a new one.

maybe I should keep a camera on it all the time?? lol
Well thanks for the input link, good luck with getting the money for your build. :)

oh i've amassed quite a considerable amount of what i need. i need about 550 for the intel rig i built. and i have 431 as of this moment :D.

and christmas will prove to be profitable seeing as i've asked for straight up cash. and previous holidays and birthdays have yielded spending limits as high 300. so i'm hoping for a sizable amount. even if its 100 bucks i should be able to get it. so WOOT.

i would but my parents insist i buy the bulk of it all at once. so it looks i'll just get the proc, the case, psu, memory, mobo, and thermal paste first. and then get the gt later. and as you suggested, the gt could lower in price. like i'm gonna miss out on that. :3

hey man, theres a huge advantage, no matter what card you use with SLI, as long as its a sli capable card, heres why:
1. Its exactly like a dual core processor, you get to split the work loads between 2 processors, which mean less time, and better graphics, since you have 2 cards rather than one really good card.
2. gotta make sure your Power supply is SLI Certified(Should say on the side, cause if it isn't, then you can just kiss SLI goodbye till you get one, it wont work or it will blow your PSU. :( ) but, good part is, if you do get SLI, your cards will be able to pump out a lot more than if you got say, just one decent/good card.

Im thinking about going SLI on my 8500GT, but thats on hold till i finish saving up some cash for college.

two cards doesn't equal twice the power though. and as many have said, the true potential of SLI is only shown at very high resolutions a.k.a. 1600x1200 and above. and without a screen and a graphics card that supports such high resolution fun, you're kinda screwed. because you're stuck with 2 cards that you can't use to their full potential. you'd have been better of buying just a single really good card.

its less expensive to just buy 1 really good one as well. not to mention you'll be saving money from all the power you're not consuming. using 2 cards will require a very hefty power supply. and sam, you know damn well what you have lol. that rosewill might just explode into flames if you tried that. and having to get another psu means more money.

Ya I figured my PSU would be able to run two 7600GT's in SLI but maybe it won't. I didn't know you actually had to have a certified PSU to run SLI.. well at least be able to run it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back