Running Sims2 with Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there are some 'glitches' when running the Sims2 with Vista. I downloaded the patch to run it with Vista last night after I first installed it into my laptop. It ran fine and I played perfectly fine for quite a while. This morning, I tried to play again but then it showed that 'directX 9.0c' adapter message that apparently happens to others. Not really sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll list my laptop's info below, though I don't really know what all is needed to help. :) Thanks!

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 1520
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.5GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1100MB used, 3210MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

Missing from your specs is the centerpiece of the problem, the actual DirectX adapter, i.e. your graphics "card."

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600M GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_01F11028&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1008 MB
Dedicated Memory: 241 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.0143 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/25/2007 01:13:08, 4763648 bytes

Hopefully the missing info is in here. Thanks for your help!

that 'directX 9.0c' adapter message that apparently happens to others

Which one is that? because you should have DirectX 10, backwards compatible with older versions which ships with vista

Also have you updated the drivers for you graphics card

beachbum517, you can download the latest DirectX files from here.

Your graphics driver is quite old too, you can get the latest driver from Dell here, the "nVidia - driver" link.

I'm trying to update the graphics driver now. Hopefully that helps. I was thinking that because I have directX 10 that it would be backward compatible, so I was surprized when I got the message. The message was "Failed to find any directX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in the system! Please make sure you have a directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate". The driver just finished downloading...hope it works!!

OK, so I have the right driectX 10, (is it a problem if it's too big??) and I have NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, which also seems to be an acceptable card... so why am I still having a problem? Thanks for the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back