Running VMware...

Status
Not open for further replies.

poriggity

Ok, so I got a free 30 day trial of VMware, and so far I LOVE it. I am running freespire on this "virtual macihine, but with a couple clicks of a button, I can go back to vista if I want to. I plan on exploring all the features of freespire, and if I can get it working, and get the internet working with freespire, I might just have to ditch xp.... I am typing this on the "virtual machine" now... ::D So, any pointers on how to make wireless work in freespire? I have heard there are ways to do it, but I am not sure.
Scott

Hum.. Do you want to use the wireless with the freespire you have running in VMware or do you want to know how to make wireless work when you install freespire on the real machine? (If it's the latter, then your thread title is very confusing).

Sorry for the confusing post title :) I can run wireless when I have freespire running on this virtual machine, but I was considering ditching vista, but I can't figure out how ndiswrapper works.. and from what I gather, you need that for wireless to work. I guess I am just stupid..

You need ndiswrapper whan you have a wireless chip that is not supported by (your version of) Linux. If you are lucky, then your wireless may work magically out of the box or with the installation of a single package (madwifi?).

Thats my only qualm about moving over to linux completely. I want to run either ubuntu or freespire, and my laptop has a built in broadcom wireless adapter/chip. Is there somewhere i can go to find out if it will work with either of these linux systems?
Scott

Google? Also, both Ubuntu and Freespire support the live CD mode, where the OS is running off the CD/DVD and doesn't touch your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back