Runs fine in safe mode but runs like Mud otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

janebean

Help. I've tried lots to fix this pc. Symantec AV picked up 4 adware problems and I have quarantined and deleted them. Cleared out about 50 other adware instances using Ad-aware. Run CCcleaner and cleaned using that tool but this workstation still won't operate normally. Help!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of janebean only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

viewpoint.

Close control panel.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

Viewpoint Manager Service

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

ViewpointService.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\Program Files\Viewpoint<Delete the entire folder.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know if your system is still slow. If it is, please can you tell me if this started suddenly or gradually?

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of janebean only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard,

As the user, I:

1. removed the 'viewpoint' from the add/remove programs.
2. disabled it in the services.msc screen
3. It did not show up in the other areas.

I rebooted and logged on as the user and am still experiencing the same drag. The desktop opens as well as the start options but nothing will load.

I've attached the most recent HJT log.

Thanks.

Your HJT log is clean.

Do the following.

Download and run the Blacklight programme. follow all the instructions carefully.

Download combofix.exe. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. A window will open with a warning. Type "Y" (and Enter) to start the fix. When the scan completes it will open a text window. Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Please attach the Combofix log and let me know the Blacklight results. I also need to know when your problem first started.

This thread is for the use of janebean
only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

H,

I went to log on to this forum from the problematic pc and as soon as I get to the forum page, IE dies. I can pop around on other sites without a problem. It must know ..... I will download the suggested programs on another system and run them at the problem pc.

As to when the problems started, the user mentioned that the system was running slow switching b/t applications on Friday, but nothing like the complete standstill the system is experiencing as of Monday.

More soon.

Howard,

I'm attaching the combofix log. Blacklight program wouldn't load in safe mode. I received a pop up that the program had to be run in normal mode -- which isn't going to work.

Thanks again, Jane

Ok, what I suggest you do, is try running a Windows repair as per this thread HERE. let me know if it helps.

Howard,

It's taken most of the day but I've finally finished running:
1. chkdsk -- no errors
2. maxtor HD utility -- no errors
3. hitatchi HD utility (just in case) -- no errors
4. the memt32 test -- ran 5 times before I realized it and all tests were fine.

I ran a Windows recovery as instructed in the file and still have the same problem.

Unless you have any other options, I think I'll have to reformat and reinstall.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Janey

Unless you have any other options, I think I'll have to reformat and reinstall.

I don`t have any other suggestion and think a reformat and reinstall is probably the best way to proceed.

Let me know the results.

Howard,

After formatting and reinstalling Windows, the workstation seems to be running fine.

Thanks for all your assistance!

That`s good news and thanks for letting me know.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back