Runtime error when opening IE 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Windows 98 SE, and have been using Internet Explorer 6 for some time without any problems. However, now, when I try to open IE, I get an error message from the Microsoft Visual C++ Library saying:

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORER.EXE

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Of course, I can't find anything on the MS site that helps, and I don't want to pay $35 for help. I've tried reinstalling IE 6 Service Pack 1 from Firefox (which I also use) and it doesn't clear the problem. I tried to uninstall IE, but the Add/Remove program won't let me do that (not that I can tell anyway). I also tried to use the Add/Remove program to repair IE 6, but to no avail. Does anybody know what the heck I can do so I can get IE 6 to run? I still need it to use certain web sites properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
--Zip

IE runtime error...

check if you have Google toolbar Installed....
uninstall it and check if u get the same error msg.

In a related problem, my Internet Explorer won't start about half the time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm running XP. When IE doesn't start, then I have trouble shutting down (getting a message that IE is not responding).

I looked at Microsoft.com for a place to re-install or repair IE 6 and found nothing. Any suggestions?

The ability to Repair Internet Explorer does not exist in the version that
ships with Windows XP. This feature only becomes available after you
upgrade to a newer version. This is normal and has been this way since
Windows 98 and IE4.

However, you can reinstall IE in Windows XP by clicking Start, Run and
entering the following command:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132
%windir%\Inf\ie.inf

*You will need to have your XP CD available*.

Some people have problems with the command line above. A small VB Script
that will execute the command for you can be downloaded here at
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_run_ie_setup.vbs. Save the file to
your hard drive and double click it to run IE Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back