Russian government announces $110,000 bounty to crack Tor anonymous network

Himanshu Arora

Staff

The Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) is offering a 3.9 million ruble (approximately $110,000) bounty for technology that can identify the users of the anonymous browsing network Tor.

On July 11, the interior ministry's special technology and communications group published a tender (English translated) on the government procurement website under the title “Perform research, code ‘TOR’ (Navy)”, announcing that the MVD is seeking proposals for researchers to ”study the possibility of obtaining technical information about users and users equipment on the Tor anonymous network”. However, the listing was updated last week to remove the public description of the project.

The contest, which requires entrants to pay a 195,000 ruble (approximately $5,555) application fee, is open only to Russian citizens and companies. Proposals are due August 13, and a winner will be announced by August 20.

Originally set up by the US Naval Research Laboratory, Tor is often used by whistleblowers, journalists, and others who want to send information over the internet without being tracked. It is also been known to be used for criminal activity.

According to the Guardian, Russia has the fifth-largest number of Tor users with more than 210,000 people making use of it.

The news comes a couple of months after the Russian government passed a new Bloggers Law that requires popular online voices (with an audience of over 3,000 readers) to register their identity with the Roskomnadzor, Russia's media oversight agency. The law, which goes into effect in August, covers not only traditional blogs but microblogs as well as social networks.

Earlier this month, Russia's lower house of parliament passed a law requiring major internet companies to store personal data locally.

Permalink to story.

A dime for capturing a multi-million syndicate, how generous! Russian goverment has always been a cheap-a$$ bunch of corrupt thieves.

It is incredible how people are just 'ho-hum' about news like this. The governments of the world are wanting to spy on regular citizens and that's ok? It is bad enough that people have to use TOR to maintain some level of privacy, now they want a way to crack that so they can keep tabs on everyone.

I really hate when people say " I don't care if the government knows what I am doing, I'm not doing anything wrong". Ok, fine. Then you do not need doors on your home or curtains in your windows either. Might as well let everyone know your business if you want to be so transparent.

Citizens are supposed to tell their government what to do, not the other way around. Even if you are a law-abiding person, it is not the government's business what you had for breakfast or how many times you took a sh*t yesterday.

For starters if the Russian government actually couldn't already crack TOR they wouldn't offer just over $110.000 dollars its to small, what they are offering is a token so the people they don't want to spook will carry on using it and they can capture more intel. For christs sake a a Russian billionaire spends £110.000 on a night out in London. People using the TOR network are getting busting left right and centre, happily in England it is mostly child sex offenders who deserve to rot. I only hope people who use it for any other reason don't get made a scapegoat for governments getting pissed off with people having internet freedom.

A dime for capturing a multi-million syndicate, how generous! Russian goverment has always been a cheap-a$$ bunch of corrupt thieves.
Only the Russian government??? All governments are tarred with the same brush if you ask me, they only have their own interests at heart and screw everyone else.

A bit hypocritical to say that isn't it? State sanctioned NSA surveillance? The US is just as bad as Russia wrt privacy.

Wouldnt know what thats like as I'm from the UK, We dont that sorta thing here, not right now anyway :) Also lets not forget Russia is targeting bloggers this isnt just anyone online with 3k readers/subs or online etc its bloggers...

The NSA takes everything and looks at it but Russia is making everyone who is anonymous or wants to to become known... I dunno about you but I would NOT be happy with that, to me what russia is doing is far worse than what the NSA is doing.

Last edited:
Wouldnt know what thats like as I'm from the UK, We dont that sorta thing here, not right now anyway :) Also lets not forget Russia is targeting bloggers this isnt just anyone online with 3k readers/subs or online etc its bloggers...

The NSA takes everything and looks at it but Russia is making everyone who is anonymous or wants to to become known... I dunno about you but I would NOT be happy with that, to me what russia is doing is far worse than what the NSA is doing.
GCHQ has many internet surveillance programs and share info with the USA. UK is probaby the next worst after the USA of democratic nations for surveillance.

Back