TechSpot

Russian government announces $110,000 bounty to crack Tor anonymous network

1. The Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) is offering a 3.9 million ruble (approximately $110,000) bounty for technology that can identify the users of the anonymous browsing network Tor.

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,154   +1,429

A dime for capturing a multi-million syndicate, how generous! Russian goverment has always been a cheap-a$$ bunch of corrupt thieves.

wastedkill likes this.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

They want to watch everything even bloggers.. what a bunch of girls seriously now come on...

4. hopgop1

hopgop1 TS Booster Posts: 165   +31

Is that Gabe Newell on the left?

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  5. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

gabe or peter griffin is what it looks like to me

6. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 571   +112

It is incredible how people are just 'ho-hum' about news like this. The governments of the world are wanting to spy on regular citizens and that's ok? It is bad enough that people have to use TOR to maintain some level of privacy, now they want a way to crack that so they can keep tabs on everyone.

I really hate when people say " I don't care if the government knows what I am doing, I'm not doing anything wrong". Ok, fine. Then you do not need doors on your home or curtains in your windows either. Might as well let everyone know your business if you want to be so transparent.

Citizens are supposed to tell their government what to do, not the other way around. Even if you are a law-abiding person, it is not the government's business what you had for breakfast or how many times you took a sh*t yesterday.

Wendig0 likes this.
  7. Englishtechhead

Englishtechhead TS Rookie

For starters if the Russian government actually couldn't already crack TOR they wouldn't offer just over $110.000 dollars its to small, what they are offering is a token so the people they don't want to spook will carry on using it and they can capture more intel. For christs sake a a Russian billionaire spends £110.000 on a night out in London. People using the TOR network are getting busting left right and centre, happily in England it is mostly child sex offenders who deserve to rot. I only hope people who use it for any other reason don't get made a scapegoat for governments getting pissed off with people having internet freedom.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,498   +2,051

Only the Russian government??? All governments are tarred with the same brush if you ask me, they only have their own interests at heart and screw everyone else.

9. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

Why don't we have encrypted phone calls too?

10. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,622   +376

A bit hypocritical to say that isn't it? State sanctioned NSA surveillance? The US is just as bad as Russia wrt privacy.

Wendig0 likes this.
  11. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

Wouldnt know what thats like as I'm from the UK, We dont that sorta thing here, not right now anyway :) Also lets not forget Russia is targeting bloggers this isnt just anyone online with 3k readers/subs or online etc its bloggers...

The NSA takes everything and looks at it but Russia is making everyone who is anonymous or wants to to become known... I dunno about you but I would NOT be happy with that, to me what russia is doing is far worse than what the NSA is doing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  12. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,622   +376

GCHQ has many internet surveillance programs and share info with the USA. UK is probaby the next worst after the USA of democratic nations for surveillance.