Russian government reportedly using malware to steal sensitive military data from the US

Justin Kahn

russian

There are a number of countries around the world that have been accused of conducting informational attacks and cyber espionage to get a hold of important, top secret data. One of those countries is Russia, but until just recently there has been very little hard evidence to prove it.

Based on a new report from security firm FireEye, Russia may be involved in a long standing and intricate operation to steal important data from other governments and security firms across the globe, including the US. The report details an Advanced Persistent Threat or APT, in this case known as APT 28, that involves the Russian government sponsoring hackers and developers to conduct various attacks.

While there doesn’t appear to be any direct link between APT 28 and the Russian government, FireEye has uncovered a number things that leads it to believe Russian decision makers are on the inside. Around 50% of the malware connected to APT 28 was “was compiled in a Russian-language build environment consistently over the course of six years." The company also notes that 96% of related malware was written during Moscow’s business hours.

"FireEye's latest advance persistent threat report sheds light on cyber espionage operations that we assess to be most likely sponsored by the Russian government, long believed to be a leader among major nations in performing sophisticated network attacks."

The operatives involved in APT 28 use a series of phishing emails and fake/malicious websites disguised as legitimate news blogs to gain access to sensitive data. Unlike similar Chinese attacks that have surfaced, FireEye says it appears the Russian attack isn’t interested in financial gain, but rather focusing on government and military data from other countries. FireEye elaborates: “FireEye found that since at least 2007, APT28 has been targeting insider information related to governments, militaries, and security organisations that would likely benefit the Russian government."

Permalink to story.

This is not new news. I think the reason our governments don't react to these blatant acts of cyber terrorism is that they do it as well. Tit for tat or..... equivalent retaliation.

someone has to make money off of the deaths of innocent people, why shouldn't it be me?
Relax, it's the innocent's fault for getting in the way of meaningful deaths. So, you're really making an honest living... Plus, you don't have to pay them if they're dead, only badly injured, thus reducing your operating costs. It's a win, win!

Last edited:
This is not new news. I think the reason our governments don't react to these blatant acts of cyber terrorism is that they do it as well. Tit for tat or..... equivalent retaliation.

I agree it's not news. But I doubt our govt is doing nothing. Just because we live in an age when you can find out what your favorite celebrity had for breakfast doesn't mean our military shares the same transparency. And nor should it.

Espionage, the world's true 'oldest profession'
Nah, somebody had to be in the bed, before someone else started looking through the bedroom window.

Although I do grant you that the person in the bed could have been there collecting information.

Strategic stuff, like where to find the fattest mastodons.

If there's one thing I've learned in the last decade.... Never trust a Russian with computer equipment.

To the Russians, I hold dirty little secrets. Please send 3 of your hottest spies to perform extraction.

Oh come on, really? Do you really think Russia is doing this? With the amount of evidence that has come to light in the last year about the hacking of foreign and domestic targets by the US and you really expect me to believe this? This is how the US works!

1. Claim hacking attempt.
2. Claim the internet is not safe so the government needs to protect it.
3. Introduce new laws removing your personal rights and privacy.

I love how whenever something happens its always Russia or China. Get a grip people, this is nothing but propaganda.

Oh come on, really? Do you really think Russia is doing this? With the amount of evidence that has come to light in the last year about the hacking of foreign and domestic targets by the US and you really expect me to believe this? This is how the US works!

1. Claim hacking attempt.
2. Claim the internet is not safe so the government needs to protect it.
3. Introduce new laws removing your personal rights and privacy.

I love how whenever something happens its always Russia or China. Get a grip people, this is nothing but propaganda.
Spy_vs_Spy_by_ElSpurgo.jpg

And the Russians didn't annex Crimea

The KGB is fully disbanded, not simply renamed.

Google hasn't been blocked in China.

Russia, China, and North Korea have no intelligence gathering capability, not even in their respective sovereign territories.

The World Trade Center towers are still standing.

Any more fairy tales you'd like to inflict on us. The three bears adopted Goldilocks maybe?

What actually is nothing but propaganda, is the US electoral process.

Last edited:
Back