Russian government reportedly using malware to steal sensitive military data from the US

By Justin Kahn
Oct 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. There are a number of countries around the world that have been accused of conducting informational attacks and cyber espionage to get a hold of important, top secret data. One of those countries is Russia, but until just recently there...

Read more
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,467   +1,760

Why would the Russians need to hack us, when they have Snowden to hand them all our secrets?
  3. JakeT

JakeT TS Member Posts: 74   +20

This is not new news. I think the reason our governments don't react to these blatant acts of cyber terrorism is that they do it as well. Tit for tat or..... equivalent retaliation.
    Archean likes this.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

All's fair in love and war - right? :)
  5. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,837   +884

That goes double for those that love being at war
    captaincranky likes this.
  6. captaincranky

Channeling our inner defense contractor, are we?:oops:
  7. yRaz

someone has to make money off of the deaths of innocent people, why shouldn't it be me?
  8. captaincranky

Relax, it's the innocent's fault for getting in the way of meaningful deaths. So, you're really making an honest living... Plus, you don't have to pay them if they're dead, only badly injured, thus reducing your operating costs. It's a win, win!
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    yRaz likes this.
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I agree it's not news. But I doubt our govt is doing nothing. Just because we live in an age when you can find out what your favorite celebrity had for breakfast doesn't mean our military shares the same transparency. And nor should it.
  10. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 860   +308

Espionage, the world's true 'oldest profession'
  11. captaincranky

Nah, somebody had to be in the bed, before someone else started looking through the bedroom window.

Although I do grant you that the person in the bed could have been there collecting information.

Strategic stuff, like where to find the fattest mastodons.
  12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

They are probably doing the same. Which would make them both hypocrites, for prosecuting anyone for Mal-ware creation and/or use.
  13. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

If there's one thing I've learned in the last decade.... Never trust a Russian with computer equipment.
  14. To the Russians, I hold dirty little secrets. Please send 3 of your hottest spies to perform extraction.
  15. yRaz

>sends male spies
  16. Oh come on, really? Do you really think Russia is doing this? With the amount of evidence that has come to light in the last year about the hacking of foreign and domestic targets by the US and you really expect me to believe this? This is how the US works!

1. Claim hacking attempt.
    2. Claim the internet is not safe so the government needs to protect it.
    3. Introduce new laws removing your personal rights and privacy.

I love how whenever something happens its always Russia or China. Get a grip people, this is nothing but propaganda.
  17. captaincranky

And the Russians didn't annex Crimea

The KGB is fully disbanded, not simply renamed.

Google hasn't been blocked in China.

Russia, China, and North Korea have no intelligence gathering capability, not even in their respective sovereign territories.

The World Trade Center towers are still standing.

Any more fairy tales you'd like to inflict on us. The three bears adopted Goldilocks maybe?

What actually is nothing but propaganda, is the US electoral process.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    JakeT likes this.