TechSpot

Rx for dead subwoofer?

By sambacarl
Dec 1, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Help!

I have a several-years old set of Altec Lansing Surround 641 speakers, a 4.1 model which is no longer in production. They're connected to my PC (running XP) and are also my main source of music via CD's and web-radio. They've only seen light use because they've been in storage a lot due to travel etc, and I never played them at high volume.

They worked fine last week, then I returned from a 5-day Thanksgiving trip, and the subwoofer no longer functions. No pops or thumps or other death cries, just silent. The 4-satellites still work OK.

I've done all the PC diagnostics I could find, and my headphones work fine, so the soundcard is OK. I played a discman directly into the Aux front port on the subwoofer (a function which used to work - I used the Line-Out, not the Headphone-Out socket.), and still nothing.

A/L tech says the circuit board in the subwoofer has developed a defect. I assume they mean the crossover circuit, or maybe it's the internal amp?

So is this a known issue, and if so, any advice?

Am I crazy to think I might somehow fix it myself (with help from a tech-savvy friend)?

Is there a source for replacement crossover/amp circuitry or parts out there somewhere?

Would a "generic" amp or crossover with similar spec's work?

I hate to just toss out and replace what used to be a perfectly good (and $$) system if I can fix it somehow.

Thanks for any advice!
    -Carl...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.