Safari for Windows Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I just installed Apple's Safari for Windows Beat.
It looks good, and is faster than Firefox 2.x, which I have been using for about a year, but I am seeing some strange effects with black text on a white page.
Some characters appear to have colored edges, especially with the default font (Times New Roman).
I changed to Courrier New and the issue appears to be lessened, but not gone.
I have not noticed this problem when browsing with Firefox or IE 7.

It seems odd to me that a problem like this could be browser specific, since Windows uses the same fonts for all apps.

Perhaps this is just my imagination?

I am running a Viewsonic VX 2000 on a BFG NVidia GeForce 6800.

I don't expect that there are many Windows users of Safari so far, since the first Windows version is a Beta.

I am developing web pages in Dreamweaver, and installed Safari to test my pages on one more browser.

FW

I`v just tried it.

It`s quick enough,but the bookmarks manager is hopeless.

It won`t tempt me from Opera.

Actually Safari (just like iTunes) does not follow the same visual cues set to all other Windows (at least on Windows). You have to change the settings within Safari for it to take those into account (font, etc.).

I run Opera on Windows and Mac, and sometimes on Linux. I just don't like how Safari does things. There isn't even a Home button as far as I can tell.

And any browser without Mouse Gestures is worthless to me.

I installed Opera, and so far it gets my vote!
I like the way Opera operates compared to IE, Firefox 2.0, and Safari.
I love the bookmark management tool. It took a few minutes to get used to using it, but once I did, it's really sweet.

I like using the feature to open previously opened tabs when Opera starts.
One issue I had with Safari is that when I tried to preview my Dreamweaver 8 web pages (from within DW) in it, the browser would only open to my home page. How useless is that!

Thanks for bringing my attention to Opera. I had never even heard of it!

FW

Once 9.5 goes full (currently in beta), and you get a free my.opera.com account, then you can have Opera on any machine and syncronize your bookmarks and speed dial nearly instantly. Pretty sweet when you have multiple machines you browse the internet on. I'm currently using the beta and alpha versions of 9.5 on both OS X and Windows.

And glad you switched to Opera. Welcome to our small but enthusiastic group.
icon14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back