Safe enough setup using this?

By gubar
Feb 21, 2008
  1. Hi,

I'm using windows defender, avg free and comodo firewall. I also got spybot search and destroy to do occasional scans.

Is this enough, or should I replace windows defender with spyware blaster (or something else)? And am I right in thinkig if I'm running windows defender, I shouldn't use any other malware programs (and vice versa)?

Finally, if I've already for WD running, should I disable spybot's teatimer function?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,143   +595

spywareblaster (one word) is a great product and well maintained.
    I recommend it
    no other real-time scanner->yes. You can manually scan any time with others
    Again, teatimer is a great piece of software and I rely upon it.

If you're comfortable with WD --- use it.

IMO, I'm partial to independent products that have no vested interest in the
    host system upon which they operate.
  3. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

I agree with Joe completely.

The only other program I would recommend is Adaware 2007. It's free and simple to use if you would like it here is a brief walkthrough on setting it up. Also there isn't real-time monitoring so it only runs when you tell it to

• Download and install the latest version of Ad-Aware (currently 2007
    • If you download the file to your desktop, simply click on the installer icon. If you download to another folder navigate to it through my computer and doubleclick on aaw2007.exe
    • Follow the prompts to install the software and when it asks if you would like to do a "Standard" or "Advanced" Installation, select the Standard installation. Keep following the prompts and after the program has finished installing select Finish
    • If the program is starting for the first time, it will prompt you to enter your registration information. As we are using the free version of Ad-Aware 2007, we simply press the Cancel button at the screen asking us to enter our license information. Ad-Aware 2007 Free will now open. If you already have this version please open it.
    • Before running a scan, you should always make sure that Ad-Aware is up-to-date with the latest program files and malware definitions. This allows the software to recognize as much malware as it can when scanning your computer. To update Ad-Aware 2007 Free click on the Web Update section in the left pane. now click on the Update button
    • If an update is found it will tell you and you should click on the Yes button and let it download the update.
    • You can now click on the OK button to go back to the Ad-Aware status screen. When you are checking for updates, Ad-Aware may also alert you that there are new Program updates available. If so, select Yes to download these updates
    • Now click on the Scan tab in the left pane, select Full Scan then click Scan in the bottom right corner
    • When you are presented with your scan results, put a tick mark in the boxes to the left of the results, select the privacy objects tab and also put a tick in these boxes.
    • After all objects are selected you can hit Remove
  4. gubar

gubar TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 105

Thanks guys,

I'll stick to what I've got just now then and see how it goes, though I'll add adaware to do the odd scan too.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.