Safe enough setup using this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gubar

Hi,

I'm using windows defender, avg free and comodo firewall. I also got spybot search and destroy to do occasional scans.

Is this enough, or should I replace windows defender with spyware blaster (or something else)? And am I right in thinkig if I'm running windows defender, I shouldn't use any other malware programs (and vice versa)?

Finally, if I've already for WD running, should I disable spybot's teatimer function?

Thanks,

gubar

gubar said:
Hi,
should I replace windows defender with spyware blaster (or something else)?
spywareblaster (one word) is a great product and well maintained.
I recommend it
And am I right in thinkig if I'm running windows defender, I shouldn't use any other malware programs (and vice versa)?
no other real-time scanner->yes. You can manually scan any time with others
Finally, if I've already for WD running, should I disable spybot's teatimer function?
Again, teatimer is a great piece of software and I rely upon it.

If you're comfortable with WD --- use it.

IMO, I'm partial to independent products that have no vested interest in the
host system upon which they operate.

I agree with Joe completely.

The only other program I would recommend is Adaware 2007. It's free and simple to use if you would like it here is a brief walkthrough on setting it up. Also there isn't real-time monitoring so it only runs when you tell it to

Ad-aware
  • Download and install the latest version of Ad-Aware (currently 2007 7.0.2.6
  • If you download the file to your desktop, simply click on the installer icon. If you download to another folder navigate to it through my computer and doubleclick on aaw2007.exe
  • Follow the prompts to install the software and when it asks if you would like to do a "Standard" or "Advanced" Installation, select the Standard installation. Keep following the prompts and after the program has finished installing select Finish
  • If the program is starting for the first time, it will prompt you to enter your registration information. As we are using the free version of Ad-Aware 2007, we simply press the Cancel button at the screen asking us to enter our license information. Ad-Aware 2007 Free will now open. If you already have this version please open it.
  • Before running a scan, you should always make sure that Ad-Aware is up-to-date with the latest program files and malware definitions. This allows the software to recognize as much malware as it can when scanning your computer. To update Ad-Aware 2007 Free click on the Web Update section in the left pane. now click on the Update button
  • If an update is found it will tell you and you should click on the Yes button and let it download the update.
  • You can now click on the OK button to go back to the Ad-Aware status screen. When you are checking for updates, Ad-Aware may also alert you that there are new Program updates available. If so, select Yes to download these updates
  • Now click on the Scan tab in the left pane, select Full Scan then click Scan in the bottom right corner
  • When you are presented with your scan results, put a tick mark in the boxes to the left of the results, select the privacy objects tab and also put a tick in these boxes.
  • After all objects are selected you can hit Remove

Thanks guys,

I'll stick to what I've got just now then and see how it goes, though I'll add adaware to do the odd scan too.

cheers,

gubar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back