Safe mode works, nothing else...help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I don't know what I installed exactly, but last night (august 12th) I had been installing cd burning software from download.com and i found a decent one, made a few cds and shut down my computer for the night. Today I turn my computer on and it comes up with the screen that says "Sorry for the inconvenience but Windows could not start properly..." My computer wouldn't start normally or on the last known configuration that worked but it would let me go in Safe mode. So I logged in in safe mode and deleted the program(s) and ran ad-aware and then tried getting back in and it still came up with that same screen, and I've been foolin around in safe mode tryin to figure out what to do all day....anybody know what I can do, or what the problem could be??? Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you are running Windows XP, have you tried doing a system restore to a point before you installed the programme?

I also suggest that you run a full virus scan, and Spybot, as well as the Microsoft anti spyware programme.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

yeah, i tried the system restore point thing, i forgot to mention that....same deal...also I have some program named GOback and I tried using it as well, and neither worked....i have the newest norton systemworks program and tried to run a full scan, but it would not allow me to do much in safe mode other than run ad-aware....

Maybe doing a Windows repair may help.

You can find instructions for this HERE. Once you have finished the repair, you will need to update your Windows again, as doing a repair will wipe your Windows updates.

Regards Howard :)

Ahhh....yes, i read that on this site somewhere, but I'm at home, my parents' home that is and this is their computer....i'm a senior in college in Virginia, and I came home for the summer and I left the boot disk at school....and my parents' computer is XP, but mine's XP Pro and i didn't want to use the disk for this computer as it might mess up mine, so i was lookin for alternative solutions, since my computer is the only thing keeping me sane living with the parental units....but i'm goin home in a week so it's not a big deal...I appreciate the prompt responses, though...Thanks alot man, I'll see what I can do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back