TechSpot

Safe overclock?

By Waffe
Aug 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I bought a i5-3570k for future proofing so I could eventually curious. I am a tad bit curious, is it possible to slightly overclock/turbo my processor? Is the slight boost worth it? I wish to know I fit is safe doing so with a stock cooler.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,118   +2,585

In my opinion, it is safe to slightly over-clock with a stock cooler. However I personally wouldn't even bother, until I had better cooler.

3. Waffe

Waffe TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 60

Eh thats what I thought, just wanted some professional insight. I doubt a few extra ghz would help anything anyway.
    What kind of speeds can I achieve with a hyper 212 evo?

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,118   +2,585

5. Waffe

Waffe TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 60

Very interesting thanks. I don't want to overclock way overboard. Trying to keep the life on this bad boy to last as long as possible. Future specs I just want 4/4.5 ghz.

6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,186   +587

I would go to 4.5 ghz as a "safe" overclock for the i5 3570k, however on a stock cooler, your not going to get very high. You need at least a better Air cooler to do any overclocking, otherwise your risking extreme temps.

7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

I hear that people can get to 4.4GHz on the stock voltage. Not sure how stable it is though. A safe OC will be 4.2-4.5 GHz. Try not to get your CPU >70-75C under load. That will lower the lifespan of the CPU. I recommend just OCing it to 4.2GHz when you get a aftermarket cooler, and OC further when needed (future games).