TechSpot

Safe overclock?

By Waffe
Aug 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I bought a i5-3570k for future proofing so I could eventually curious. I am a tad bit curious, is it possible to slightly overclock/turbo my processor? Is the slight boost worth it? I wish to know I fit is safe doing so with a stock cooler.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,981   +1,488

In my opinion, it is safe to slightly over-clock with a stock cooler. However I personally wouldn't even bother, until I had better cooler.
  3. Waffe

Waffe TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 115

Eh thats what I thought, just wanted some professional insight. I doubt a few extra ghz would help anything anyway.
    What kind of speeds can I achieve with a hyper 212 evo?
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,981   +1,488

5. Waffe

Waffe TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 115

Very interesting thanks. I don't want to overclock way overboard. Trying to keep the life on this bad boy to last as long as possible. Future specs I just want 4/4.5 ghz.
  6. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,214   +522

I would go to 4.5 ghz as a "safe" overclock for the i5 3570k, however on a stock cooler, your not going to get very high. You need at least a better Air cooler to do any overclocking, otherwise your risking extreme temps.
  7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,954   +901

I hear that people can get to 4.4GHz on the stock voltage. Not sure how stable it is though. A safe OC will be 4.2-4.5 GHz. Try not to get your CPU >70-75C under load. That will lower the lifespan of the CPU. I recommend just OCing it to 4.2GHz when you get a aftermarket cooler, and OC further when needed (future games).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.