Sagipsul - Blocked Malewarebytes.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteC

HELP!

I acquired the virus a few weeks ago. I tried to delete the windows/system32 .dll
files it was creating, but they kept on regenerating. I started the 8 steps
but I hit a BIG snag. I did a CClean and I did an Avira scan (that detected
and neutralized some 32 files and registry entries.

But, I'm still stuck. Both Firefox and IE 7 are being blocked from malewarebytes.org
when I download it from techspot.com
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4716-malwarebytes-anti-malware.html
leads to http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
and the virus blocks malewarebytes.org even when the download tool tries to download
from that site,

The virus blocks microsoft updates by blocking that site as well. I was so lucky
that all the install of Avira was all contained within techspot.com. That downloaded
all the files and installed fine.

HOW to I remove that internet block so I can get malewarebytes to load on my machine?

Great that helped! In specific the technique that made the problem
with blocked (redirected) access to all the virus and security sites,
[like malewarebytes.org, avg.com, microsoft.com (windows update),
symantec.com, mcafee.com] go away was a slightly modified
set of 9 steps below. However, I would add something important to
step #3. After you install you are presented with a checked check box
indicating an "update" to MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-malware) is
to be done.

3A) IMPORTANT: During setup,exe ... Uncheck the Update MBAM check box
so the setup.exe install will not try to contact the malewarebytes.org internet site for files.

After you do the "quick scan" and reboot the virus no longer blocks (redirects)
access to malewarebytes.org or any other security and maleware correcting
web sites.

Here are the removal instructions:

1. Download Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (if the spyware blocks access to download, then use another computer and copy the installation program to the infected computer)
2. Rename the installation program (mbam_setup.exe to setup.exe)
3. Launch installation program (setup.exe, be patient, it may sit for a long time at "finished" before it actually does finish!)
4. Go to the program directory (c:\program files\Malwarebyes' Anti-Malware) and rename the executable (mbam.exe to mbam2.exe)
5. Launch the executable and perform a quick scan
6. Remove all detected objects and restart the computer
7. Launch the executable again and check for updates
8. Perform a full scan
9. Remove all detected objects and restart the computer

Thanks here's another Guide to Malwarebytes install: http://forum.iquorum.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=45&p=56#p56

But I note your point about the tick in automatic update when installing Malwarebytes
I believe it would (the 8-step guide) be best not to put this extra step in, as I'm positive that many users won't update at all, if this left out

But you have helped me, if others have a similar issue. I will state to avoid the automatic update, during the Malwarebytes setup. So thanks for that :grinthumb
It would seem that the new revision of Malwarebytes allows removal of this specific issue, even before updating; whereas before (on older version) it didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back