Samba shares remain after removal of HDD containing shared folders - Windows XP

By VvWolverinevV
Jan 26, 2008
  1. I recently removed a secondary HDD from my old Windows XP machine. However, I did not remove sharing from several folders on the HDD before physically removing it. Now, when I access the shares from that computer, I still see the folders that are on the removed HDD (but obviously I can't open them). Where is the listing of shares stored in Windows XP? How can I remove these shares?
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

try opening My Network Places, and deleting them from there.

also might try My Computer, select the Share and then Disconnect
  3. VvWolverinevV

VvWolverinevV TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 111

They don't appear in My Network Places.

I assume you're talking about My Computer on the computer broadcasting the empty shares. I am unable to locate the shares anywhere on that computer. That's exactly the point of my original post.
  4. jobeard

one more place
    cp->Admin Tools->Shared Folders:
    right click sharedFolderName and Stop Sharing

might look in the registry;

find the share on the right panel and DELETE the key
  5. VvWolverinevV

VvWolverinevV TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 111

:grinthumb That's it! In XP Home, it's Control Panel> Administator Tools> Computer Management, and then Shared Folders/Shares is in the Console Tree. I could see all of the empty shares that I wanted to get rid of listed here; however, "Stop Sharing" was not in the context menu for those shares. I was able to remove all but one share via the DOS prompt with the following command:
    net share <sharename> /delete
    where <sharename> was the name of the share removed.

The last share had a space in the name, which was problematic for the DOS prompt. For this share, I removed the corresponding keys from the registry paths

After restart, all of the shares were gone!
    Thanks jobeard!
  6. jobeard

you're welcome & thanks for the feedback -- it may help someone else one day :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.