Samba shares remain after removal of HDD containing shared folders - Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VvWolverinevV

I recently removed a secondary HDD from my old Windows XP machine. However, I did not remove sharing from several folders on the HDD before physically removing it. Now, when I access the shares from that computer, I still see the folders that are on the removed HDD (but obviously I can't open them). Where is the listing of shares stored in Windows XP? How can I remove these shares?

try opening My Network Places, and deleting them from there.

also might try My Computer, select the Share and then Disconnect

jobeard said:
try opening My Network Places, and deleting them from there.
They don't appear in My Network Places.

jobeard said:
also might try My Computer, select the Share and then Disconnect
I assume you're talking about My Computer on the computer broadcasting the empty shares. I am unable to locate the shares anywhere on that computer. That's exactly the point of my original post.

one more place
cp->Admin Tools->Shared Folders:
right click sharedFolderName and Stop Sharing

edit:
might look in the registry;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\lanmanserver\Shares\Security

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\lanmanserver\Shares\Security

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares\Security

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-329068152-602609370-725345543-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2

find the share on the right panel and DELETE the key

:grinthumb That's it! In XP Home, it's Control Panel> Administator Tools> Computer Management, and then Shared Folders/Shares is in the Console Tree. I could see all of the empty shares that I wanted to get rid of listed here; however, "Stop Sharing" was not in the context menu for those shares. I was able to remove all but one share via the DOS prompt with the following command:
Code:
net share <sharename> /delete
where <sharename> was the name of the share removed.

The last share had a space in the name, which was problematic for the DOS prompt. For this share, I removed the corresponding keys from the registry paths
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\Shares\Security

After restart, all of the shares were gone!
Thanks jobeard!

you're welcome & thanks for the feedback -- it may help someone else one day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back