Same website looks different at different workstations???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABAMOTO

I used MS Frontpage to modify our existing website. After I have done and published it, it looked alright on my computer.

However, it looks different on my manager's computer. We both use IE browser. On his website, some alignments are off, and some fonts are not at the right size.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Is there an option in IE that I can adjust to make my manager's website look the same as mine?

Thanks =)

I don't know about Frontpage, but in most webpages you should use percentages of the width/height rather than fixed sizes.
You may also have to repeat a <font class=..> or <span class=..> respectively close it where necessary </font> or </span>

And you should also check how your webpage looks in Firefox. Firefox sticks to the rules, whereas Frontpage makes a b0ll0x of it.

Is it possible it's a zooming issue? It may just be that 1 browser is more zoomed in/out than the other. Worth testing perhaps.

A couple tips

There are manual fontsize options in IE that might have been modified by your manager, check to see that they are set to normal on both computers. If there is any variance in colors appearing different, you might wanna try using the RGB value as opposed to the color name.

C0d3Warr10r

Big Blue:
Asus P4P800 I865PE
P4 2.8GHz 800MHz
2048MB KingMax PC-3200
Maxtor DiamondMax 9 /160GB /7200RPM /8MB Cache
ATI Radeon X800 Pro
Enermax 420W PSU
Aspire X-Dreamer II
Lite-On 12X DVD+/-RW
Sony 48X CD-RW
Samsung SyncMaster 997DF 19" CRT
3DMark03 Score: 10,035

Hi Abamoto,

I've never used FrontPage, but one thing you might check is whether you have used a font that hasn't been loaded onto your manager's computer. This happened with my website. If I used an 'extra' font I had downloaded and the 'receiving' computer didn't recognize it, it would default to something basic (like Arial) and that would foul up the alignment.

M56

Yeah I know FrontPage sux... I was told that dreamweaver is very good. Therefore I probably will get that for future editing =)

I also found out what the problem was. It was a desktop display setting at advance option, where my user's setting has the font set to 106dpi. Defaut is 96dpi.

Case is solved. Thank you all =)

If all you do is editing, then safe yourself a bundle and use windows Notepad instead.
There are plenty of Syntax-highlighting editors out for very little money.
Coffeecup's HTLM Editor, or my favourite: EditPad Pro from www.editpadpro.com
Dreamweaver, apart from the steep price, also has a steep learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back