Samsung announces Galaxy TabPro S running Windows 10

Scorpus

Staff member

At CES 2016, Samsung has unveiled their latest Galaxy tablet, and this one isn't running Android. Instead, Samsung has loaded up the 12-inch Galaxy TabPro S with Windows 10, marking the company's return to the world of Windows tablets.

The Galaxy TabPro S is essentially Samsung's rival to the Microsoft Surface. The tablet may be thinner and feature less ports than the Surface Pro 4, but it does support a detachable keyboard cover with trackpad. Overall, the tablet and keyboard combination is extremely thin and light, making it a decent option for taking with you on the go.

Considering its slim, fanless design, it's no surprise to see Samsung use an Intel Core M processor at 2.2 GHz (possibly the Core m3-6Y30) to power this tablet. You also get 4 GB of RAM, either 128 or 256 GB of SSD storage, 5-megapixel cameras on the front and back, the usual array of connectivity features, and a 5,200 mAh battery.

On the front is a 12-inch 2160 x 1440 Super AMOLED display, which gives the tablet a 3:2 aspect ratio that's becoming increasingly popular for tablets. There's also a single USB Type-C port on the tablet's body, which can be connected to an optional multi-port adapter to deliver HDMI and USB Type-A. Users can also purchase a Bluetooth pen for drawing on the display.

Samsung says the TabPro S will launch in February, although there's no word on pricing. Like other devices of this kind, the keyboard is sold separately, and we expect it won't come cheap.

Top and bottom images courtesy of Gizmodo

Permalink to story.

It could be very, very good, but the price will be the key and an equal or only slightly lower price might cause it to be a flop.

I just wish they would give it a more distinct name than their Android counterparts. Drop "Galaxy" and go with a different moniker for Windows OS devices.

8gb RAM should be standard by now. The tablet looks good but unfortunately I've just gotten the HP Spectre x360

I have no use for these kind of things but nevertheless I still like them but if I did have a use for them I'd certainly be eyeing up one of these devices from Sammy.

Back