Samsung buys Viv Labs, whose team originally created Siri

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung wants its own personal assistant to compete with Google Assistant, Siri, Alexa and Cortana, so they've bought a company that designs them. As confirmed in a Medium post, AI assistant startup Viv Labs has been acquired by Samsung for an undisclosed price.

The Viv Labs team, namely Dag Kittlaus, Adam Cheyer, and Chris Brigham, is best known for designing and then selling its previous assistant technology, Siri, to Apple. The team gradually left Apple after the acquisition of Siri in 2012 and formed Viv Labs, who have been working on a next-gen assistant called Viv for several years.

Under Samsung, Viv Labs will operate as an independent company and will continue to work on their virtual assistant. Viv is reportedly a more powerful version of Siri with better integration of data and services, with the ability to understand more complex queries and remember important context from previous questions.

Viv Labs will provide services to Samsung and their various platforms, but it's not clear whether the assistant or its technology will be available outside Samsung's ecosystem. However it does give Samsung a tool to compete with heavyweights from Google, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft and even Facebook, who are all developing their own AI assistant products.

According to Kittlaus, Samsung are setting their signs on "on becoming a major player in software and services, and specifically AI." The fact that Samsung ships more than 500 million devices a year was a tasty proposition for Viv Labs, whose technology could be seen in Galaxy devices and Samsung televisions as soon as next year.

Permalink to story.

Samsung have been watching far too many recent Google and Apple presentations about this kind of garbage who paint a perfect picture of the future. Too bad it won't work like that in real life simply because of the 'human factor' involvement but if it helps sell a lot more of their products, why not give it a shot?

You don't need virtual assistant if your phones fail. Buy a phone manufacturer that makes quality phones you can sell under samsung brand first. Maybe new battery maker could suffice but as I read that even the new phones explode I guess there's more going on than just the battery, no way they would make the new ones with such low quality batteries so the problem must be something else. Shame they bought Viv Labs so they will go bankrupt too.

You don't need virtual assistant if your phones fail. Buy a phone manufacturer that makes quality phones you can sell under samsung brand first. Maybe new battery maker could suffice but as I read that even the new phones explode I guess there's more going on than just the battery, no way they would make the new ones with such low quality batteries so the problem must be something else. Shame they bought Viv Labs so they will go bankrupt too.

If you think samsung is going anywhere you are quite mistaken. Yes the whole note 7 thing is a PR nightmare, but they also have billions of dollars in revenue from other products. The Galaxy S7 and S7 edge have been major successes in the past year.

So one day the TV will be so smart when Mom and Dad come home it will rat out the kids

So I guess this means "S Voice" was a huge flop. It seemed like such a winning idea when installed alongside Google Now.

S Voice even slowed your flagship SS Galaxy from Warp 9 to impulse power for a more "steady as she goes" feel.

I personally see no need for assistants as I am fully capable of doing things for myself. I like the idea for paraplegics and quadriplegics and those with limited or no mobility. I use a lot of tech but like to keep controls to myself rather than have an assistant do it for me.

Looking forward to more Asians language support!!!
Go for it Samsung!
1f604.png

Back