Samsung delays Galaxy Note 7 shipments due to product quality testing

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung the past two years has unveiled and subsequently launched its Galaxy Note flagship smartphone a couple of months early in an effort to hit the market before Apple’s iPhones that traditionally launch in mid-September.

The strategy has worked thus far but has it come at the expense of quality control?

Samsung on Wednesday told Reuters that shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 are being delayed due to additional tests being conducted for product quality. The representative didn’t elaborate on what it is specifically testing for nor did they say which markets would be impacted by the delay.

The publication points out that local media reports claim some users have had the battery in their phones explode. If the aforementioned delay is indeed related to some sort of battery defect, it could deal a major blow to Samsung’s outlook for the second half of the year.

Samsung isn’t the only handset maker facing potential quality control issues. Just the other day, Apple fielded a lawsuit from a trio of plaintiffs regarding a phenomenon that’s become known as Touch Disease. The plaintiffs are hoping to elevate the case to a nationwide, class-action suite.

How this will all play out remains to be seen and in fact, it may not be Samsung’s fault at all. Apple Insider notes that initial reports suggested the culprit may be non-Samsung (third-party) USB Type-C charging cables. That’s entirely possible as all cables aren’t created equally (just as Google engineer Benson Leung).

Permalink to story.

In one sense, you should build your device to handle a range of inputs from generic and cheap adapters, in another sense, if you buy cheap adapters you should kind of expect this to happen.

But the phone is so new, why are people already NOT using the OEM charger? Did they already loose the charger to their ~$800 phone, I cant believe people would be so careless... then again... I do. flippity floppity floop

In one sense, you should build your device to handle a range of inputs from generic and cheap adapters, in another sense, if you buy cheap adapters you should kind of expect this to happen.

But the phone is so new, why are people already NOT using the OEM charger? Did they already loose the charger to their ~$800 phone, I cant believe people would be so careless... then again... I do. flippity floppity floop

I agree completely. I bought two things for my Note 7 and have had zero issues thus far. I use the OEM cable while at my computer, but when I'm on the go or at work I use my Belkin 3AMP charger. I also bought the external fast charging battery. I have had no issues at all from any of these.

Some resellers dont bundle in the chargers (Like O2 in the UK), because basically everybody has a 15 or so spare lying around.

My Note Edge (4) is the last Samsung device I bought (not even 18 months old) and from day one I had quality issues. I was told "Sure, no problem, box it up, pay for the shipping, wait 3-4 weeks, and then maybe just maybe we'll actually fix the problem, unless it's not really obvious, then we might just send it back broken."
I guess I was used to Google devices that send you a replacement before you send in the broken one so you're not without and ask ZERO questions and send new devices.
After spending $800 then for a phone that didn't work right out of the box (wireless charging pins on the phone didn't work properly) I was more than annoyed at the policy and the casualness of it all.
Now the screen has a vertical lines popping up once in a while but the Qi charging works great...because I put little pieces of tinfoil on the pins.
So yeah, I'm done with Samsung because my "experience" wasn't quite great, and I'm by no means alone.
Those with issues might also find this policy a little unsatisfactory as well.

Back