Samsung exec claims company will eventually move all devices away from Android to Tizen

midian182

Staff member

Samsung may be the best-selling manufacturer of devices that use the Android platform, but the Korean company also has its own OS – the Linux-based Tizen – which is found in some of its TVs, wearables, and a small number of smartphones.

According to a report from the Korea Times, an anonymous company executive claims Tizen will eventually replace Android on all Samsung devices. The exec says that Samsung needs to establish its own platform in the same way that Apple has with iOS. “If you don’t have your own ecosystem, then you will have no future,” they told the publication.

While Samsung’s Tizen-based Z smartphones sell well in India, shifting 64 million units, it’s hard to imagine the OS expanding to other regions to become a potential “Android Killer.”

Reviews of the first Tizen smartphone, the Samsung Z1, were far from glowing, and the company will likely have concerns over the continuing decline of non-Android/iOS mobile platforms such as BlackBerry 10 and Windows.

The executive did say, however, that more incentives and support will be offered to third-party Tizen developers, though he or she didn’t go into details as to what these would be.

There’s no doubt that Samsung wants Apple-like total control over its ecosystem, but the question is whether that would be worth the risk of losing potentially millions of customers who are unwilling to switch from Andriod.

At the moment, everything is still just speculation, but, as there have been rumors of a planned switch to Tizen in the past, an eventual move may not be as unlikely as it sounds.

Permalink to story.

I bet google sure is glad they worked with samsung to make touchwiz work better, instead of calling their bluff of moving from android by continuing to embarrass them with the nexus line.

See google, this is why you need a really good nexus lineup.

Another thought is what about App developers? Will they just port or even develop for Tizen OS? I suppose that might depend on how many users switch or if Samsung bribes enough developers.

Yea I was thinking of switching to Samsung but if it ain't android id have to pass. No good to split up the ecosystems even more.

Good luck with that Samsung.... that being said Android has a lot of weak points. If Samsung can make a better product and get a good helping of apps to go along with it that people use daily then they might have a chance. Android has a pretty good experience and flexibility going with it, if they can expand upon that and eliminate weaknesses then some may want to switch.

Tbh samsung may have the best hardware in the world but their drivers and softwares s#cks big time. They just create apps, drivers without properly designing them.

I already did not buy Samsung smart watch because they went away from google. If they don't want me to buy their phones also this sounds like an excellent idea.

If Samsung makes this move, I would move away from their devices. Tizen is not the answer at all. This would plummet their sales almost certainly. I don't think I'd ever go back to an Apple product, so I'd probably look more into the Nexus line. Honestly the only thing that really holds me to Samsung at this point is their cameras. I don't really hear much good about LG devices and HTC has almost fallen off the grid as far as their devices go.

I couldn't say whether or not I've seen Tizen in action, so I don't currently have an opinion. As for the majority, they may not care if the user interface is user friendly.

If Samsung makes this move, I would move away from their devices. Tizen is not the answer at all. This would plummet their sales almost certainly. I don't think I'd ever go back to an Apple product, so I'd probably look more into the Nexus line. Honestly the only thing that really holds me to Samsung at this point is their cameras. I don't really hear much good about LG devices and HTC has almost fallen off the grid as far as their devices go.
Their camera is great. In addition to that, to me it's their IR blaster and stylus that's holding me (and my annoyance) down.

I normally keep away for owning Samsung Smartphones since they have lots of samsung bloatware, So why they even think that Tizen will be a good idea?. If they want to reduce their own Smartphone market participation on purpose then Tizen seems feasible.

This will never work out for Samsung. I personally prefer android for its super efficiency and customizability. Android is far more advanced than tizen and would be a horrible sales drop if samsung were to ever use it. This would give other competing companies a once in a lifetime chance to be dominant in the mobile phone market by selling more since die hard android fans will seek phones that are android based

Who needs this new OS? It is as needed as MicroSlop trying to get into the market with few useful apps....

Back