Samsung forced to eat crow as Galaxy S6 Edge is just as bendable as iPhone 6 Plus

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Remember “bendgate,” the notion that Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus was unusually weak to the point that it’d bend under moderate pressure or during normal use? The controversy has returned but this time, it’s Samsung’s new Galaxy S6 Edge that’s under the spotlight.

SquareTrade, the extended warranty service provider that helped drive the original bendgate, recently put the Galaxy S6 Edge to the test alongside the iPhone 6 Plus and HTC One M9. Using a hardware rig dubbed the BendBot, SquareTrade found that both the iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy S6 Edge bent under 110 pounds of pressure.

samsung galaxy s6 edge iphone apple smartphone iphone 6 plus bendgate

Unlike the iPhone, the glass screen of the S6 Edge cracked under pressure. The phone still worked, however, so the team ramped up the pressure to see how much it’d take to destroy the phone (which happened at 149 pounds). In contrast, the iPhone 6 Plus required 179 pounds of pressure before it gave up the ghost.

For those curious, the HTC One M9 both bent and broke at the 120 pound mark.

I still maintain that the whole bendgate argument is rather silly. Of course a long and thin gadget built of soft aluminum and glass is going to bend if subjected to enough force in the center. Pro tip – don’t put your phone in your back pocket then sit on it.

What does this all mean for Samsung? Probably not a whole lot as the phone has proven quite sturdy in real-world testing with early reviews citing the S6 and S6 Edge as some of Samsung's best phones yet. Apple was able to diffuse the situation rather easily as I suspect Samsung will be able to do but not before having to eat crow.

Permalink to story.

Did Samsung make fun of Apple and say the S6 will be unbendable compared to the iPhone? If not, then why does Samsung need to eat crow?

Might want to read Samsung's press release. Specifically said it wouldn't.

This test is useless. the iphone bends in a specific place easier. with special machine every phone will bend... they have proven they are *****s that have no idea what bendgate it. that is all this test is.

What a pointless test, ofc phones bend and break when you put them in a machine designed to bend steel...

And with the screen id more moan to Corning as they make the glass no Samsung (though not sure if the edge does actually have gorilla glass?)

Pro tip – don’t put your phone in your back pocket then sit on it.[/rquote]

So many people argued with me the last time I made this statement. Glad to see someone else thinks the whole thing is silly. lol

What a pointless test, ofc phones bend and break when you put them in a machine designed to bend steel...

The point is to determine the bend/break point of the products, not whether they are indestructible.

It provides valuable information for those of us who occasionally put their phone in their pocket.

Boron/carbon/ titanium filament frame work.. problem solved and no more expensive then a cnc machines aluminium webbing frame.

I am actually happy for samsung, this will definitely make the s6 and samsung more popular no matter in a good or bad way. Laugh everyone, share to everywhere you want, make this viral, and I’m sure this will make the s6 launch even more popular. :D

Inb4 Apple sues Samsung for copyrighted bendable phone.

Is that sarcasm? If not you lost a reader today.
And yes it is known that iphone 6 plus bends by applying pressure on specific points quite easily. No need for a bending machine for that.

So that one comment means you won’t be coming back? Honestly if that one needed the sarcasm sign then I apologize. *nerd*

So that one comment means you won’t be coming back? Honestly if that one needed the sarcasm sign then I apologize. *nerd*
Lol I came back its a habit now. Since pulse my favourite rss reader died a year ago it has become a habit to check my favourite sites daily.
On that note when are you reviewing galaxy s6?

Lol I came back its a habit now. Since pulse my favourite rss reader died a year ago it has become a habit to check my favourite sites daily.
On that note when are you reviewing galaxy s6?

I would say Tim will be yeah.

I will hold out for the Note 5 for my next upgrade ;)

Did anyone have issues with the S6 bending in the real world yet like Apple did,if not then this whole article is void just trying to make Samsung look bad.Any ***** can bend a phone if they tried but the I6 bent under normal everyday use.

The curved screen on the sides made it easy to break. You might have shards of glasses in your pocket. So you should be very careful not to put it in your back pocket.

I believe it is high time they stop with the thinness race. At this point, it has no acceptabe or noticeable gain from it, only disadvantage. Make them a lil' bit thicker and a bit sturdier, or the next wave not only loses sihnal but becomes so weak it breaks in half simply because you were holding it wrong.
Also, I wonder when will ultrabooks start bending and cracking the same way, as those are headed down in the same exact path.

Totally agree with the author; it's a ludicrous proposition from any reasonable perspective.

Obviously anything will bend under enough pressure. Cellphones aren't heavy duty equipment - they're fragile and delicate, and placing them under 100-150 lbs of bending force was never part of their design specifications.

I see women carrying their phones in their back jean pockets all the time, and that's a really bad idea. It's only a matter of time before something's going to happen to those phones they won't like.

Did anyone have issues with the S6 bending in the real world yet like Apple did,if not then this whole article is void just trying to make Samsung look bad.Any ***** can bend a phone if they tried but the I6 bent under normal everyday use.
how many people do you personally know that has had an iphone bend without actual trying to bend it?

Back