Samsung Galaxy A5 Review: A premium build mid-range smartphone

Scorpus

Staff member

samsung galaxy a5 review android samsung review smartphone galaxy a5

Last year, Samsung announced the Galaxy Alpha, the first high-end smartphone in their range with a part-metal body. The handset was a good, yet flawed step forward for the company, failing to live up to its premium price tag from a hardware and battery life standpoint.

Rather than completely dropping the Galaxy Alpha design, Samsung reworked it for a new and much more compelling product aimed at the mid-range market.

The Galaxy A5 is a $400 smartphone inside a $700 body. It features a new Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 SoC, which is a 64-bit capable dual-core new to our test bench, alongside a 5.0-inch 720p Super AMOLED display, and a 13 megapixel camera. It’s not running Android 5.0 just yet, though Samsung will be providing an update shortly. And did I mention it’s just 6.7mm thick?

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame about the price, will be interesting to see if that changes.

$400 for a SLOW dual core phone with a 720p screen, that sports an outdated OS? This is a joke, right?

A5 comes with image stabilization? if not how does it impact given it claims to have a good camera, elsewhere reviews also mentions good camera but without image stabilization it looks difficult to capture a good pic.

I just got my mom this phone, and it's absolutely an awesome feeling phone. It's incredibly light, feels solid, thin and sleek. I'm not terribly concerned that the specs aren't top notch, as it's for my mom.
In Asia it's more like $300 so I'm really happy with that purchase.

Back