Samsung Galaxy K Zoom sports a 20 megapixel camera, 10x zoom lens

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Less than an year after Samsung launched the Galaxy S4 Zoom, its first attempt at an optical zoom-equipped smartphone, the company has now announced the Galaxy K Zoom, a smartphone with a 20.7-megapixel camera and a retractable 10x zoom lens.

In addition to the camera hardware, the Galaxy K Zoom (K stands for for ‘Kamera’) comes with a hexa-core processor, a 4.8-inch, 720p Super AMOLED display, and Android 4.4.

Although it has the same look as the recently launched Galaxy S5, it's more than twice as thick (20.2mm). Considering the technology on board that's still impressively compact. Other S5 features like Ultra Power Saving Mode, customized settings menus, and S Health are also there.

The handset includes an Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS) that helps with low-light conditions and stabilizing scenes with movement. There's a Xenon flash, which, according to the company, provides a more natural light for shooting compared to the usual LED flash. The K zoom shoots 1080p video up to 60 frames per second, and offers a slow-motion video mode as well. There's also a Pro Suggest mode which serves up filters.

Samsung has also put in a feature for selfie addicts. Dubbed 'Selfie Alarm', the feature lets you select the area of the frame where you want your face to appear; you can then turn the phone around and point the rear camera at your face; once you're in the frame, the K zoom produces a beep sound and then takes three back to back pictures.

The Galaxy K Zoom will be available in the same black, white, and blue dimpled body as the S5. However, the company didn’t specify when the handset will be available or how much it will set you back.

Permalink to story.

I gotta say the specs are pretty impressive. And it looks like a legit camera. Nice job Samsung.

'overheard'
Is that a phone in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me

I think this many-things-in-one-device has been abused.
a smartphone with 'real camera specs' VS a real camera with 'smartphone functions'.

Back