Samsung Galaxy Note 4 unveiling tipped for September 3

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung galaxy note samsung smartphone phablet galaxy note 4 unveiling

The next iteration of Samsung’s gargantuan smartphone is expected to be unveiled on September 3 during an Unpacked event just ahead of the annual IFA trade show in Berlin. Invitations to the event will be sent out to members of the press in mid-August according to a reliable insider as reported by Android Geeks.

News of an early September unveiling comes as little surprise considering Samsung’s Galaxy Note refresh typically takes place around the same time each year. The timing is more about strategy than anything else as Apple also reveals its new iPhone in September. By announcing the Note 4 around the same time, Samsung will no doubt be looking to steal some potential iPhone buyers from Apple.

As for hardware, most expect the Note 4 to ship with a “2K” display operating at 2,560 x 1,440, a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 SoC and 3GB of system memory. The jury is still out as it pertains to specs like screen size (we’re heard either 5.7-inch or 5.9 inch) and the camera. Some claim it will carry the same 16-megapixel sensor found in the Galaxy S5 while others believe it could use a 20.7-megapixel sensor.

It’s also likely that we’ll see the fingerprint sensor and heart rate monitor from the S5 carry over to the Note 4. An improved S Pen stylus would also make a lot of sense. It’ll likely run Android 4.4 Kit Kat out of the box unless Google launches something new between now and then.

Permalink to story.

I bought Note 2 when it came out, and after 3 weeks of trying to get used to it, I threw it away and bought iPhone 5. No regrets since. Note 2 had 720P screen, and Note 4 quadruples the number of pixels, which is quite impressive, though it wasn't the screen quality that I hated, it was the stupendous size being too awkward to use, random button pressing while holding it, and ridiculous swipe-to-answer system which was the reason I missed many calls.

It is definitely too large to be a phone, it is 100% a phablet.

I just really hope Apple doesn't go the same road...

Last edited:
I bought Note 2 when it came out, and after 3 weeks of trying to get used to it, I threw it away and bought iPhone 5. No regrets since. Note 2 had 720P screen, and Note 4 quadruples the number of pixels, which is quite impressive, though it wasn't the screen quality that I hated, it was the stupendous size being too awkward to use, random button pressing while holding it, and ridiculous swipe-to-answer system which was the reason I missed many calls.

I just really hope Apple doesn't go the same way...

The phone is designed for those who want a larger phone, usually for traveling or when abroad on holiday without a laptop/tablet or a desktop.

The smaller range is the Galaxy S series for those who prefer "smaller" sized devices and of course the mini series if you want something even smaller. The android market has wide range of devices fit for all purposes.

Note 2 and Note 3 are great phones, the size is not for everyone just like vanilla or chocolate isn't the favorite ice cream for some people.

I just really hope Apple doesn't go the same way...
Well next time make sure to check out specs before buying a phone...or anything for that matter.

I've had two "phablets". Dell Streak in 2010, and the Note1 in 2011. Still running the Note1
Skipped the Note2, not much of an upgrade, skipped the Note3, too locked, Knox etc...
Still looking to replace it, but will probably skip the Note 4 because of bloat & Knox.
As for the screen size? I wouldn't go back to an under 5" screen for anything.

What I learned from my experience, it is no matter how long you spent researching about a phone, the experience of using it may turn out somewhat unexpected. I have big hands and pockets, but I still don't like big phones :)

p51d007 said:
Skipped the Note2, not much of an upgrade, skipped the Note3, too locked, Knox etc...
Note 2 is a huge update over Note 1
As owner of Note2 I dont see much of an upgrade over it in current phones

I wish they would include a nuclear battery or something... big phones eats big energy.... if a single charge could last 2 day while watching movies im in!

Right on! I've been waiting for this! I just wish Samsung would remove the stupid "feature" where music playback is muted after being on the treadmill over 20 mins; though I think it's the treadmill that's programmed to mute it after a set time so you'd get off...grrrr!!
Has anyone else encountered this? Probably some sort of radio wave...or something.

Back