Samsung Galaxy Note 5 gets photographed ahead of August 13 reveal

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung has announced that they will be hosting an Unpacked event on August 13th in New York, where the company is expected to announce the Galaxy Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 Edge+. Both of these devices have been detailed extensively over the past few weeks, and we're now getting a clear look at the Note 5 courtesy of some leaked photographs.

The leaked photos of the Galaxy Note 5 reveal a design that's very similar to the Galaxy S6, including a reflective glass back panel and metal edges. It appears as though both the Note 5 and S6 Edge+ will feature curved panels: the Note 5's rear panel is shown curving to either side, while the phablet-sized S6 Edge+ will feature a curved display similar to its smaller brother, the S6 Edge.

The S Pen is seen along the bottom edge of the Galaxy Note 5, and it appears as though a new eject mechanism will be used to hold the pen securely inside the device. You can also spot the bottom-firing speaker and micro-USB port along this edge; unfortunately it looks like the Note 5 won't be Samsung's first USB Type-C smartphone.

Going by previous leaks it's expected that the Note 5 will feature an octa-core Exynos 7422 SoC, 4 GB of RAM, and a 5.7-inch 1440p AMOLED display. The device will have thinner bezels than the previous generation, and no microSD card slot or removable battery.

The S6 Edge+ is expected to use the same hardware as the S6 Edge, except for a larger 5.7-inch display. This means we're looking at a 16-megapixel rear camera with OIS, an Exynos 7420 SoC, and 3 GB of RAM.

If Samsung does end up announcing both devices at their Unpacked event in two weeks as expected, it shouldn't be too long before they go on sale.

Permalink to story.

Samsung is really disappointing me with the no removable battery and SD Card.
The non-removable battery is no biggie as far as I'm concerned but I cannot see why they don't include a microSD slot/tray or whatever.

my main issue with the removable battery is that I currently have a phone that is non-removable for about 3+ and the main issue is that the battery does not last anymore and I can't replace it.

my main issue with the removable battery is that I currently have a phone that is non-removable for about 3+ and the main issue is that the battery does not last anymore and I can't replace it.
Yeah that can be a problem but unfortunately tech companies don't want you to use your same old device for the next 10 years, it hurts their bottom line critically so it seems that removeable batteries are fast becoming extinct and it's just another way of forcing you to replace instead of trying to stretch things. It's tough if you're cash strapped but they're not so they couldn't care less about your plight.

News Flash 2016: Samsung "blindsided" by extremely low Note 5 sales - CEO resigns; company is not able to ascertain the reason for such low sales.

My understanding is that the memory architecture is new and unique and not compatible with the current microSD card technology. The new technology enhances internal transfer speed and facilitates the performance of the CPU. Adding compatibility could slow down and generally cause performance issues/faults when used with a substandard memcard. In fact, most issues with many phones stem from the use of cheapest memcards one can find at the time. Remove the card, problem gone. My prediction: NO microSD card slot.

The Issue on batteries. I agree with most of you. 1. There is an unspoken planned obsolescence when putting these babies together. 2. Adding exchangeability of batteries causes potentially more cost in its design and implementation. 3. It also adds bulk and with all designs going large but thin as the popular demands dictate. I expect more of this trend with higher end models. They want you to buy the next best thing inside of a year or two.

I have my Galaxy Note 4 and am truly satisfied with it. Don't think I will upgrade to a phone with a non-removable battery. No thanks. Sorry.

My understanding is that the memory architecture is new and unique and not compatible with the current microSD card technology. The new technology enhances internal transfer speed and facilitates the performance of the CPU. Adding compatibility could slow down and generally cause performance issues/faults when used with a substandard memcard. In fact, most issues with many phones stem from the use of cheapest memcards one can find at the time. Remove the card, problem gone. My prediction: NO microSD card slot.

The Issue on batteries. I agree with most of you. 1. There is an unspoken planned obsolescence when putting these babies together. 2. Adding exchangeability of batteries causes potentially more cost in its design and implementation. 3. It also adds bulk and with all designs going large but thin as the popular demands dictate. I expect more of this trend with higher end models. They want you to buy the next best thing inside of a year or two.

Exactly.

MicroSD cards have varying performance that most people do not care to note. They pretty much stopped standardizing performance after 'class 10' labelled cards. It might have been important maybe 5 years ago for professional users. But now even 'class 10' card performance is all over the map with modern devices.

Embeded batteries serve a couple of functions:
1) Smaller/thinner devices.
2) Ability to accurately track battery life cycles, performance, quality which is probably the more important 'feature' from an engineer/technician point of view. You can easier integrate internal testing software with the battery and hardware to determine if there is a fault or defect in the battery over the life of the device.
3)Waterproofing. Who doesn't enjoy a bit of real waterproofing on their phone. It's summer, someone is going to jump in the lake with a phone in their pocket. (I suppose there's always a market for a lifeproof case).

Yeah that can be a problem but unfortunately tech companies don't want you to use your same old device for the next 10 years, it hurts their bottom line critically so it seems that removeable batteries are fast becoming extinct and it's just another way of forcing you to replace instead of trying to stretch things. It's tough if you're cash strapped but they're not so they couldn't care less about your plight.

this seems counter intuitive. if they want you to continually upgrade, then getting rid of a function that allows you to do what you can with your older device, seems to BLOCK your mindset to upgrade, not enhance it. for example, I would have already updated to the galaxy s6 edge, IF I could change out my battery. but since I CAN NOT do this, I have stayed with my older s5 lte-a, and will not upgrade as long as I can't. it's too important of a function to me, to give it up. I can update my phone with all kinds of custom roms, which mimic the newer roms of the newest devices. so I still get the functions, but haven't spent a new penny with them. see what I mean?

Battery to be removable is not a problem for me. What's an issue here is the SD Card. I'd like to use SD card on my device in order to store my files and transfer it easily all at once on another device if needed. VPN would also be great with this latest model of Samsung.

Battery to be removable is not a problem for me. What's an issue here is the SD Card. I'd like to use SD card on my device in order to store my files and transfer it easily all at once on another device if needed. VPN would also be great with this latest model of Samsung.
I'm also not terribly concerned about removable batteries but I see no reason why they can't incorporate a SD card slot. Apple has never done it but that's just an obvious ploy to get buyers to spend more on larger capacity models but it works for them, so it looks like it's a case of monkey see, monkey do.

Back