Samsung Galaxy Note III rumored to ship with eight-core CPU / GPU

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung’s fabled Galaxy Note III could be the stuff of legends if the latest rumors have any credibility. That’s because we’re now hearing that the successor to the Note II could ship with an eight-core CPU and an eight-core GPU, all packed behind a 5.99-inch Full HD Super AMOLED display.

The CPU in question is none other than Samsung’s Exynos 5 Octa, the same chip that debuted at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this year. Whether or not it would actually ship in the US is still up for grabs as thus far, US consumers have been snubbed when it comes to eight-core mobile CPUs. As for the GPU, it will be a Mali 450, according to reports.

samsung galaxy note iii cpu gpu samsung galaxy note iii

Noteworthy here is the belief that that the handset will no longer ship with the rumored 6.3-inch display as previously alluded to. The display would, however, feature Samsung’s new diamond pixel structure. Other specifications include a 13-megapixel camera (likely the same one that’s now shipping with the Galaxy S4), 3GB of system memory and the latest version of Android Jelly Bean. By that time, it could be version 4.3 or higher.

The handset will take queues from the GS 4 with a bevy of “smart” features. Sources also say the phablet would have a smaller bezel than the Note II but in general, it would look a lot like the Galaxy S4 which could mean yet another plastic body.

Some believe we could see a Note III announcement as early as August or September but until then, we’ll take the rumors as they come.

Permalink to story.

Why is this surprising? Why would Samsung sell their flagship phone with an 8 core CPU and not the more power-oriented note.

Anybody who thinks that a 6" device can be a good phone is either an oversized mutant or a confused Korean.

I was against giant screen till I try note2.... and then my officemate try my note 2, he was more then 6feet tall, then my note2 became a s3mini in his hand.
hooray for big screen

I work at Dish Network civilian side. We use the Galaxy Note 1. I was going to buy it before we got it at work, but thought it was too big - like holding a cinder block to my head. Since we got it at work, I have gotten used to it and wish I hadn't settled for the Galaxy S III.

I'll never buy another Samsung product after some Samsung marketing employees called me a liar and threatened me on another website when I said I found the HTC One's build quality to be superior.

Got a Note 1 about a month after it came out. (had the dell streak before that). The note 2 wasn't much of an upgrade for me so I held out. One of my coworkers went from an S2 to the S4 and he loves it, but I didn't, personal taste. The screen was 5" tall but NARROWER than my Note 1, so I'm holding out on JB 4.1.2 until the Note 3 hits to see what it's like. That's what I like about Android. So many choices to suite an individual need. The small screen doesn't work for me, others it does. The larger screen works for me, but for others it won't.

For the life of me I just can't see the sense of having a phablet unless you want to boast "mine is bigger than yours". Make 'em & they'll buy 'em. it's so true.

For the life of me I just can't see the sense of having a phablet unless you want to boast "mine is bigger than yours". Make 'em & they'll buy 'em. it's so true.

Many people like myself use their phones less as phones and more a media player (youtube, movies, music etc).
Therefore, a larger screen is brilliant.
Web browsing is also a much nicer experience.

I hardly ever use my phone with one hand. It's often two handed. One hand holds the phone while another selects items onscreen, so this argument that it's too big is nonsense.

If you don't have largeish pockets, or wear skinny jeans, then I see your point, but I've never had a difficult time pocketing my Note 1.

Eagerly awaiting the Note 3. Trying not to upgrade to the gimped S3 (quadcore snapdragon in UK + low usable memory).
I'm fully expecting it, but I really hope the Note 3 isn't plastic build. That would suck.

A lot depends on what you use it for.

If you are on the phone most of the day, you would probably better off with smaller smart phone.

If you only get one or two calls a day on your phone, the bigger size is not really an impediment.

Posting to FB and Google+, playing games, reading and interacting with web pages is easier on a bigger screen.

I'll never buy another Samsung product after some Samsung marketing employees called me a liar and threatened me on another website when I said I found the HTC One's build quality to be superior.
Lol wtf, I dont believe that. They must be fake.

Lol wtf, I dont believe that. They must be fake.
No it's completely true. Samsung pays for people to post negative things about HTC and down vote anyone who isn't posting positive things about Samsung. The thing about it is, I just said I like HTC build quality more. I ended up demanding an apology on the Samsung Mobile Facebook page, which they promptly did. I thought it was very rude of them to treat me like that because I've been a long time Samsung fan. In fact I've owned 5 phones from Samsung, the only 5 phones I've ever had.

No it's completely true. Samsung pays for people to post negative things about HTC and down vote anyone who isn't posting positive things about Samsung. The thing about it is, I just said I like HTC build quality more. I ended up demanding an apology on the Samsung Mobile Facebook page, which they promptly did. I thought it was very rude of them to treat me like that because I've been a long time Samsung fan. In fact I've owned 5 phones from Samsung, the only 5 phones I've ever had.

Atleast you got them to apologies.

They're just mad that their crappy plastic build quality is finally coming under scrutiny. And about time too.
I'm so glad every other premium manufacturer has made their phones out of glass or metal.
Samsung needs to get off their high horse and make a premium phone out of premium materials.

Wow. I just lost some respect for Samsung from that story. I only buy Samsung TVs and trust them a lot.

Do you own and use one day to day? It's not about bragging rights. It's usability. You sacrifice convenience of smaller form factor for a device that is hybrid sized so doing things like reading or watching video content etc are better.

Man I don't think computing power of phones is an issue, it's primarily the software from what I see. I would have liked to see recycled specs on more ergonomic designs.

Do you own and use one day to day? It's not about bragging rights. It's usability. You sacrifice convenience of smaller form factor for a device that is hybrid sized so doing things like reading or watching video content etc are better.
I guess I'm just to old or too old school to be impressed by this latest tech.

Back