Samsung Galaxy S6 Active with IP68 rating, massive 3,500mAh battery heading to AT&T later this week

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung’s Galaxy S6 Active broke cover on Monday following weeks of rumors and leaks. The AT&T exclusive includes a few useful features missing in the standard Galaxy S6, most notably its IP68 resistance to shock, water and dust.

With the S6 Active, you’ll get a handset that’s very similar to the original. It features a 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display operating at a resolution of 2,560 x 1,440 (577 PPI) and is powered by Samsung’s Exynos 7420 64-bit octa-core SoC alongside 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage.

samsung galaxy s6 active samsung att rugged exclusive att next exynos 7420 galaxy s6 active ip68

The S6 Active also includes the same 16-megapixel rear-facing HDR camera, a 5-megapixel front-facing shooter and a generous 3,500mAh battery. The phone’s embedded wireless charging technology means it’ll be compatible with most wireless charging pads on the market. The S6 Active will ship running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.

AT&T is offering the Galaxy S6 Active for $0 down through its Next program. Customers can elect to spread payment over 30 months at $23.17 per month, a shorter period of 24 months for $28.96 per month or 20 months with payments of $34.75 each month.

samsung galaxy s6 active samsung att rugged exclusive att next exynos 7420 galaxy s6 active ip68

All said and done, you’ll be paying right at $695 for the phone regardless of which method you choose.

AT&T is also offering a couple of promotions to go along with the new phone. Buyers can get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.4 for free with a two year agreement and a Samsung wireless charging pad at half price. The S6 Active will be available in stores and online starting June 12 in camo white, camo blue or gray color schemes.

Permalink to story.

The G4 isn't water proof, so why would you even compare?

I'm glad Samsung made this, and finally with wireless charging built-in. This may replace my S5....

The exclusion of a SD Micro card slot was a deal breaker for me for the Samsung phones this time. AT&T tie-in's would have been another deal breaker for this specific phone.

I've selected another brand of phone with forward facing speakers and a SD Micro slot capable of holding up to 2 TB. Applications (Games especially) just take up a lot more space than they used to. I can say the same for the operating system. It just makes sense to be able to expand the memory on a device at these price levels for those who want to maximize their investments.

Back