TechSpot

Samsung Galaxy S6 will reportedly get a larger display with a higher resolution

By Shawn Knight
Dec 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The next iteration in Samsung's Galaxy line of smartphones will feature a larger display with a higher resolution compared to the current Galaxy S5.

Read more

2. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

"Samsung had high hopes for the Galaxy S5 but ultimately sold about 40 percent fewer handsets than anticipated."

I'm no expert, but after I saw the specs, I knew they wouldn't sell that many; there is almost no difference between the S5 and the previous model, the S4.

kissx likes this.
  3. Can you say LG G3 with a large meg-pix camera

LG has put serious hurt on Sammy this round, looks like they will "copy-cat" it for the win?

4. Isn't that what Samsung is good for? I cant remember the last time they made something themselves from scratch.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,062

For heavens sake. Don't they already have a phablet with a screen that size. Haven't they yet figured it out that a lot of people just want a high end/high performance phone with a decent sized screen and not some unwieldy goddamned monstrosity.

6. After seeing those spec's I would still rather have the Galaxy Alpha.

7. infiltrator

infiltrator TS Booster Posts: 141   +21

In the end, its all about money....

8. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

What a shocker. Another week goes by and there is a new phone announced from Samsung. Sales are down 60% on the s4. Just maybe the everybody on the planet has a cell phone and does not need to upgrade every month.

9. emmzo

emmzo TS Booster Posts: 113   +15

Optimize it to run smoother, remove bloatware, get a boost in battery life. Or at least, change the design like HTC did, Samsung phones were ugly for so long it has become a trademark.

10. SirGCal

SirGCal TS Maniac Posts: 365   +136

I'm still in a contract from my new then S4 and now the S6 is already announced? Seriously, slow down and do some real upgrades. Although I do like the S5's waterproofing system for sure. My parents have S5's and... ehhh.. On a screen that small 1080 is plenty, I'd rather them work on better batterys and faster/sharper cameras IMHO.

11. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

Wait for it.....

12. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Booster Posts: 161   +26

Sooner or later they're gonna have to stop increasing the size right? A 5.5 inch screen on their flagship seems more than excessive. I don't understand this "upgrade."

13. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 861   +340

Same story as usual. Bigger screen with higher resolution, both are unnecessary. Performance will be about the same, a tad bit faster. Nothing to talk about. I can imagine people buying this because they want to have the latest phone, specs don't matter to them. If I had S3 I wouldn't even consider upgrade since the performance looks the same to me.

14. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

If the S6 has a 5.5" screen that what will the note 5 have xD. If Samsung dumps TouchWiz it would be an amazing phone.

15. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

Ladies! Believe me, Samsung doesn't always get it right, but if screen size didn't sell, they wouldn't be increasing it.
    I personally know a few people who are just waiting for their contracts to finish so that they can get either this S6 or even a Note 4. So size does matter for a bunch of people! :p

16. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 513   +46

If you remember a similar spec list came out for the Galaxy S5 all ended up been utter tosh.