Samsung Galaxy S8+ outlasts all but one flagship handset in battery life tests

midian182

Staff member

Early indications suggest that Samsung’s Galaxy S8+ is one amazing device. Its 6.2-inch OLED screen has come in for particular praise - DisplayMate called it the most innovative and high-performance smartphone display ever tested. But does its brilliance come at the cost of short battery life? Apparently not.

PhoneArena has been testing the Galaxy S8+ against other popular smartphones. It found that Samsung’s handset came second on the overall list of flagship devices, beating many of the other larger handsets but still a fair bit behind the iPhone 7 Plus. All phones were tested with their screen brightness set to 200 nits. The Exynos 8895 version of S8+ is used, with the resolution set to 1080 x 2220.

The S8+ manages exactly 8 hours of battery life, putting it ahead of its S line predecessor – the S7 Edge – by 42 minutes. The new handset pushes the iPhone 7, which has a 1960 mAh battery, out of second position, beating it by 14 minutes.

Apple still boasts the device with the longest life. Lasting 9 hours and 5 minutes, the iPhone 7 Plus beats the S8+ by quite a margin, though the iPhone does have a much smaller display. Nevertheless, Samsung’s phone, which boasts a 3,500 mAh battery, is ahead of competitors such as Google’s Pixel and the Huawei P10.

One area where the S8+ has many of its rivals beat is charging time. With Samsung’s Fast Adaptive Charging support, the handset can fully recharge from 0 to 100 percent in 99 minutes, much quicker than the 197 minutes it takes for the iPhone 7 Plus to fully juice up.

Permalink to story.

Can someone explain how this battery test actually works? Looks like it is more of an SoC power consumption thing than screen power consumption test because Samsung's OLED display uses significantly less power than it's competitors.

Can someone explain how this battery test actually works? Looks like it is more of an SoC power consumption thing than screen power consumption test because Samsung's OLED display uses significantly less power than it's competitors.
It sort of makes sense the iPhone 7 Plus uses a weak LCD display and its significantly less vivid, so I could see it using less battery to keep the screen on, but that display, man is it bad.

apple has always been better at squeezing more performance out of less, and it doesnt help that everyone that makes android phones cant help but load them up with bloat, and that google keeps adding more "services" and such to android. The iphones also have a significantly lower screen resolution which helps keep power consumption in check with the ultra high res galaxy screen.

It sort of makes sense the iPhone 7 Plus uses a weak LCD display and its significantly less vivid, so I could see it using less battery to keep the screen on, but that display, man is it bad.
OLED screens like the one on the galaxy are capable of shutting off individual pixels for blacks so it uses FAR Less power than a traditional LCDs, although its slightly offset by the many many more pixels on the samsung

I like my my OLED and the battery performance that I am currently getting, which is the whole day before I go to bed. Without fact checking, I think the iPhone 7 Plus has a larger (heavier) battery, which doesn't interest me. I'm good with the size of the S7's size/weight, performance, and feature set.

For those who want the technical details of the iphone 7 CPU, head out to Anandtech. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10685/the-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-review/3

The apple A10 is the best SoC when it comes with efficiency and speed. Now if the rumors are true that they will release an OLED iphone, It will be an interesting year.

Best SoC??? Really? Based on what? Why is it interesting that Apple is coming out with an OLED screen when others have been doing it for years? It's not going to be any better than the others, because they're primarily supplied by Samsung and LG. The more interesting aspect to the new iPhone is that it has very little in terms of innovation.

OLED screens like the one on the galaxy are capable of shutting off individual pixels for blacks so it uses FAR Less power than a traditional LCDs, although its slightly offset by the many many more pixels on the samsung

Technically its more efficient yes but only if you give those individual pixels a chance to shut off. Meaning, black. Now for the last couple of years at least, everything has been white on white on light grey so yeah that efficiency gets flushed unless you make an effort to make things black to your liking (custom colors for apps and such) Do Samsung screens look amazing no matter what? YES. I still remember a few years back going to a Best Buy and seeing a Note with it's screen on and thinking it was a paper display. Turns out it was just a beautiful AMOLED.

Best SoC??? Really? Based on what? Why is it interesting that Apple is coming out with an OLED screen when others have been doing it for years? It's not going to be any better than the others, because they're primarily supplied by Samsung and LG. The more interesting aspect to the new iPhone is that it has very little in terms of innovation.

Based on what? Based on the fact that they kill on performance numbers and still get excellent battery life. There is a reason Apple designs its own CPU's and OS in house. This isn't about love for Apple. It's the truth. They also never jumped on the "More Cores Is Better" bandwagon. It's not until the Snapdragon 820 that Qualcomm came to its senses and designed something with fewer more efficient cores and look what it go them (excellent performance, efficiency and reviews). And if you need further support of in house designing doing better overall, look at Samsungs Exynos compared to Snapdragons before the 820. People wished they could get their hands on an Exynos but they were always reserved for Global phones. One thing I will say about Qualcomm is they were always ahead of the game on graphics (not necessarily ahead of Apple but then again Imagination does great work)

Last edited by a moderator:

Technically its more efficient yes but only if you give those individual pixels a chance to shut off. Meaning, black. Now for the last couple of years at least, everything has been white on white on light grey so yeah that efficiency gets flushed unless you make an effort to make things black to your liking (custom colors for apps and such) Do Samsung screens look amazing no matter what? YES. I still remember a few years back going to a Best Buy and seeing a Note with it's screen on and thinking it was a paper display. Turns out it was just a beautiful AMOLED.

Based on what? Based on the fact that they kill on performance numbers and still get excellent battery life. There is a reason Apple designs its own CPU's and OS in house. This isn't about love for Apple. It's the truth. They also never jumped on the "More Cores Is Better" bandwagon. It's not until the Snapdragon 820 that Qualcomm came to its senses and designed something with fewer more efficient cores and look what it go them (excellent performance, efficiency and reviews). And if you need further support of in house designing doing better overall, look at Samsungs Exynos compared to Snapdragons before the 820. People wished they could get their hands on an Exynos but they were always reserved for Global phones. One thing I will say about Qualcomm is they were always ahead of the game on graphics (not necessarily ahead of Apple but then again Imagination does great work)
Apple's IOS are optimized for A-type SoCs as with the benchmark tests, and is not even worthy of a comparison.

Spot on here. Apple will be difficult to beat once they start using proper display technology like OLEDs.

Move on with life :p Don't be bitter.

I would rather by a older version of a good smartphone than come up with a huge chunk of money to get something that is a twich better.

I enjoy the jingle of extra cash in my pocket than I do of having the feeling that I blew my budget and not don't have extra cash to do this or that.

But I see I am in the minority!

Apple's IOS are optimized for A-type SoCs as with the benchmark tests, and is not even worthy of a comparison.

You know, it IS okay to say something complimentary about a product made by a company you don't like. You're not conceding defeat in anyways. You're just speaking the truth. Rather you have to post a small and vague response that tries to take a small piss on their parade. Why? Go back to my post and see that I talk good about both sides. Why is that so hard for some people?

But I see I am in the minority!

Nope. That's why I bought a OnePlus3.

For those who want the technical details of the iphone 7 CPU, head out to Anandtech. http://www.anandtech.com/show/10685/the-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-review/3

The apple A10 is the best SoC when it comes with efficiency and speed. Now if the rumors are true that they will release an OLED iphone, It will be an interesting year.

Because they are already wiping the floor with the competition WITHOUT an OLED screen... that's why.... once they use "current" technology on their screens, they'll just be that much further ahead...

Back