Samsung Galaxy S8 to feature all-screen design

Jos

Rumors surrounding Samsung’s upcoming Galaxy S8 keep on rolling. Earlier this week we heard the flagship device device could come in two sizes and feature stereo speakers, with a separate report claiming Samsung will follow in Apple and Motorola’s footstep by removing the headphone jack in favor of USB Type-C. The latest word on the grapevine comes from Bloomberg, which says the the Galaxy S8 will have an all-screen front with a virtual home button will be buried in the glass.

The news outlet’s unnamed sources claim the new phones will come with wraparound displays using organic light-emitting diode (OLED) technology — like the Galaxy S7 Edge. Removing the home button would allow a higher screen-to-body ratio, meaning a bigger screen within the same or smaller body. 

Bloomberg doesn’t mention anything about the fingerprint reader so it’s unclear if the company has managed to incorporate it within the virtual home button in the display itself.

Xiaomi laid claim to being the first company with an all screen phone with their concept Mi Mix, developed with designer Philippe Starck, which has a display covering 91 percent of the front. It is only available in limited numbers and has the fingerprint reader on the back. The company’s Mi 5s boasts an ultrasonic fingerprint reader under the front glass but it should be noted it’s not integrated in the display.

Samsung is reportedly targeting a March release for the S8, but that could be delayed until April as the company is adopting tougher testing procedures in the wake of the Note 7 debacle.

Permalink to story.

^ more of a realistic concern than that. I already have problems touching the GS7 Edge, wont this be a ****ing cluster**** than now when accidentally selecting options?

2017s hottest new phone!

Tbh I couldn't care less that half a dozen (if that) phones set on fire. I will still buy Samsung phones going forward I have always liked their designs and interfaces etc.

^ more of a realistic concern than that. I already have problems touching the GS7 Edge, wont this be a ****ing cluster**** than now when accidentally selecting options?

I had that issue with the normal S7! I had to get a case just to hold it with out my palm messing with the touch screen. Having edge to edge might look cool but those bezels are actually useful in my opinion.

Time to do a world-wide survey of different age groups Techspot to discover how much time people waste, on average, using these mini computer contraptions on a weekly basis.

Did I read that right? "a separate report claiming Samsung will follow in Apple and Motorola’s footstep by removing the headphone jack in favor of USB Type C". Well that was inevitable! Lol.

Back