Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Review: Meet Samsung's Ultra-Slim Android Tablet

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung is touting the Galaxy Tab S2, which comes in 9.7- and 8.0-inch variants, as the thinnest tablet on the market. The high-end hardware you’ll find in this device, including the Exynos 7 Octa SoC and 2,048 x 1536 Super AMOLED display, make it a serious competitor to the iPad Air 2 and latest iPad Mini. It might end up being let down due to software, but at least Samsung has essentially gone all out with hardware.

At 5.6mm thin for both the 9.7- and 8.0-inch models, the Tab S2 is a good 0.5mm thinner than the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4. That half millimetre mightn’t sound like much, and in isolation it’s not, but it helps make the Tab S2’s untapered slate-like design feel extremely thin in your hands, even more so when you consider the size of the device overall. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 is the first tablet I’ve seen this year that made me want to try out Android on tablets once again.

Read the complete review.

Nice review Scorpus. Not being a tablet person myself, generally I would've ignored it or skimmed through it but this time I read it from start to finish and enjoyed it.
I still wouldn't buy another one though, I have a 2012/3 Nexus 7 sitting around collecting dust which I'll foist onto my granddaughter very soon.

I still have my Nexus 7 2013 and it is wonderful. I have used an ipad at work and fiends ipads and could never get into the apple ecosystem.

Google makes only one mistake I think and it is the same mistakes all tablet makers have been making for the last few years. The software releases have been buggy, one of the recent android L updates was the worst of all, it killed my nexus 10 and very nearly killed my nexus 7. My nexus 10 hasn't booted since.

I would still buy android, and I prefer to only buy google nexus devices, for the raw android feel, at least until the price was hiked up with the nexus 9. I only wish more android devices used the raw android os :(

I think your argument that the software in android is not as good really comes back to the developers wanting to earn money from the Apple users, so they deploy to iOS first, including new features. Otherwise I don't personally see much difference. Apple gets things first because it doesn't provide much free software, and Apple users are generally more willing to part with their hard earned.

If Samsung release a raw android tablet, I will consider buying it but right now I will wait and see what is out when my Nexus 7 dies, currently I would buy the Nexus 9. Note to Google, people want another 7inch tablet. Mine fits in my pocket when I go out to a cafe, an 8 inch is too big. I could buy something else and reinstall cynogen but I have too many more important things to do and prefer a tablet to just work and get the latest upgrades.

Back