TechSpot

Samsung Gear 2 earns favorable repairability score in iFixit teardown

By Shawn Knight
Apr 9, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung's newest smartwatch is the latest to fall victim to iFixit's teardown treatment. Fortunately for potential buyers, there's good news as the wrist watch isn't all that difficult to get apart and repair should you ever need to.

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

Surely these things mature over time, but Samsung is in shameful practice of keeping it to themselves. They use proprietary communications, so that this Gear kit can only work with either Note 3 or S4/5. In the grand schema of things this just won't do. They need to make it open.

I will wait for Gear 3 that should appear along or shortly after Galaxy Note 4, presumably in August. They positioned Gear 1 as the perfect co-product along with Note 3, although the product itself was far from perfect, so maybe the 3rd generation will be better.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,147   +737

Am I the only one who thinks these repair scores are completely worthless? With manufacturer warranties, extended warranties, and the speed at which we upgrade does anyone actually repair their gadgets past just replacing the glass if it breaks? Most people don't even do that.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,338   +806

I'm sure most people with a bit of intelligence realise the scores and even the teardown is pointless but it makes interesting reading for some nonetheless.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.