Samsung has a new Gear VR headset that's backward compatible with earlier phones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Galaxy Note 7 wasn’t the only new hardware Samsung unveiled at its Unpacked event earlier today. The South Korean electronics giant also introduced an updated version of its Gear VR headset to go along with its shiny new flagship smartphone.

Engadget had some hands-on time with the new Gear VR following today’s announcement. Right away, you’ll notice that it looks a little different with a bluish-black finish. You’ll also find a dedicated Home button as well as a revamped touchpad on the right side.

Best yet, the publication found the new headset to be much more comfortable compared to previous iterations. The padding that presses against your face, for example, is thicker and the head strap has more length to accommodate those with larger heads.

Samsung has also modified the design in a manner that affords a wider field of view, from 96 degrees to 101 degrees. To complement the new Galaxy Note 7, the revised Gear VR is USB Type-C ready. An included dongle allows you to use the new headset with older Samsung phones as well so it’s not as if you’re being forced to get a new phone to use the wearable.

There isn’t one single feature that makes the new Gear VR a must-have but collectively, Samsung has certainly improved the headset for the better.

The new Gear VR headset goes on sale August 19, the same day as the Note 7 and at the same $99 price point.

Permalink to story.

I still don't understand what phones its compatible with.
The same ones as the first Samsung VR? Then how is is backwards compatible?
The S6 is the oldest phone the original would work with, when I read this article I thought this would work with my S5...for a moment I was pumped.

I still don't understand what phones its compatible with.
The same ones as the first Samsung VR? Then how is is backwards compatible?
The S6 is the oldest phone the original would work with, when I read this article I thought this would work with my S5...for a moment I was pumped.

It has a USB C connector, but comes with a dongle. That's how it's backwards compatible.

Back