Samsung is anticipating a 60 percent profit drop for Q3 2014

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung earnings sales quarterly earnings profit quarterly report smartphone sales decline

Samsung’s third-quarter earnings are going to be weaker than anticipated, the company warned late Monday. In its Q3 guidance, the Korean tech giant forecasted an operating profit of 4.1 trillion won ($3.8 billion) for the quarter ending September 30 which represents a 59.7 percent decline compared to the same period a year ago.

Sales in the quarter are expected to be around 47 trillion won, a 20 percent drop versus the year-ago quarter.

Smartphone shipments were up slightly during the quarter although lower selling prices for its high-end handsets combined with increased marketing costs took its toll on margins.

The projections are much worse than analysts had expected. As CNET points out, the company is likely to post its biggest declines in roughly five years. Collectively, analysts were expecting operating profit to drop around 42 percent to 5.9 trillion won ($5.52 billion) and sales to slump 14 percent to $50.9 trillion won ($47.6 billion).

As Sanford Bernstein analyst Mark Newman notes, memory remains the only strong point on Samsung’s report.

Despite being the largest smartphone maker by a wide margin, Samsung is facing its fourth straight quarterly drop. Manufacturers like Huawei and Xiaomi are ratcheting up competition in emerging markets while Samsung is facing a renewed battle in established markets thanks largely in part to Apple’s new batch of iPhones that launched last month.

Samsung’s full earnings report is due out later this month.

Permalink to story.

There hasn't really been much noticeable change in mobile device technology in the last few years, beyond display size. Battery, processing power, built-in RAM, and overall basic function has been indistinguishable between years. I'm more likely to require a benchmark tool to measure performance than I could spot a better performing mobile device by look or feel. It would lead me to believe that people are keeping their devices longer.

There hasn't really been much noticeable change in mobile device technology in the last few years, beyond display size. Battery, processing power, built-in RAM, and overall basic function has been indistinguishable between years. I'm more likely to require a benchmark tool to measure performance than I could spot a better performing mobile device by look or feel. It would lead me to believe that people are keeping their devices longer.

Much higher DPI, much improved display quality, drammatically improved cameras, much slimmer designs, 10-fold performance, ubiquitous html5 support, etc...

What are you complaining about? Look outside your window, dude!

Last edited:
It's not at all surprising. Smartphones have reached saturation point in mature markets and they can't compete with the Chinese in price in emerging markets, apart from a few extra Mhz, a couple of cores, an extra pixel or two in cameras and larger screens smartphones haven't evolved in years.
If your phones still getting the job done satisfactorily why throw money at a new one?

Much higher DPI, much improved display quality, drammatically improved cameras, much slimmer designs, 10-fold performance, ubiquitous html5 support, etc...

he is right, all you listed are only menial and minor increases.

he is right, all you listed are only menial and minor increases.

Might be minor to you...but my eyes actually hurt when I look at older screens like the sgs3 in comparison to the newer ones.

Did you think the first black and white 8 inch tv was all you'd ever need or want?
why did you upgrade? there were only minor improvements to color and resolution

Did you think the first black and white 8 inch tv was all you'd ever need or want?
why did you upgrade? there were only minor improvements to color and resolution
So you upgraded from the 8" black and white to the 8.01" black and white version the next year? I don't see the incentive, sorry.

I do know what you mean, I do prefer better, but I am just a cheap. I would like an iphone 6 plus, and I know I would love it more then what phones I have at moment. But I wouldn't love it $1000 more. :)

Last edited:
Back