Samsung launches extremely light 13- and 15-inch laptops

Scorpus

Staff member

If you're in the market for a new laptop and weight is a significant concern for you, Samsung's Notebook 9 series might just be what you're looking for. The company has released two new laptops in 13- and 15-inch sizes, which weigh an impressive 839 grams (1.85 pounds) and 1.29 kg (2.84 pounds) respectively.

A 15-inch laptop that weighs less than 1.5 kg is a pretty mouthwatering proposal, considering the equivalent MacBook Pro weighs over 2 kg. Samsung hasn't skimped on performance either, with both sizes of the Notebook 9 supporting Intel 'Skylake' Core i5 and i7 CPUs, up to 8 GB of RAM, and up to 256 GB of storage.

The biggest concern for these laptops is battery life. The 13-inch model is 13.4mm thin and includes just a 30 Wh battery, while the 15-inch gets a 39 Wh unit in its 14.5mm thin body. This is significantly smaller than most laptops of equivalent size on the market, and The Verge claims the 15-inch model reported just 3.5 hours of remaining life from an 83% charge.

Both units support fast charging via USB C, and both also come with full-sized USB ports for attaching most of today's peripherals. Neither device has a touchscreen, which isn't a big deal on a laptop, and each screen is a fairly standard 1080p resolution attached to a 180-degree hinge.

Unfortunately Samsung has declined to provide any release date or pricing information for the Notebook 9 series as they continue to finalize the laptops' specifications. Hopefully we'll see them hit the market before too long.

Images courtesy of The Verge

Permalink to story.

Hardly impressive at all with such tiny batteries. I'll take the Dell XPS 15 any day thank you and I can get 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 84kwHr battery, 4K infinity screen at just under 2kg.

3.5 hrs of battery life in 2016 is totally unacceptable! The Dell XPS 13 gets 11.5 hours, and that's last year's model! Light weight is great, but not at the expense of 7 hours less battery life than the competition!

These are very impressive weights. I'll wait for a review to see how battery life fares.

30 Wh battery? Wow... my old iPad 4 has a 42.5 Wh battery according to Wikipedia. Battery life must be extremely lacking on this device. What's the point of such a thin and light device when it's going to be tethered to an outlet most of the time?

Back