Samsung launches Galaxy Round, features 5.7" curved OLED screen

Scorpus

Staff member

In case the Galaxy Note 3 didn't tickle your fancy, Samsung has come out with a brand new device that's similar to the Note in many ways, but with one main difference. Rather than the standard, flat 5.7-inch Super AMOLED used in the Note 3, the new Galaxy Round uses a curved 5.7-inch 'Super Flexible AMOLED' with the same 1080p resolution.

Designed for the South Korean market, the Galaxy Round is also internally very similar to the Galaxy Note 3. There's a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) SoC with a 2.3 GHz quad-core Krait 400 CPU, Adreno 330 GPU, Wi-Fi 802.11ac and 150 Mbps LTE radios. Alongside the Snapdragon 800, Samsung has also packed in 3 GB of RAM, a 13-megapixel camera and 32 GB of internal storage, plus a microSD card slot.

Overall the device weighs less than the Galaxy Note 3 at 154 grams, and the device is just 7.9mm thin with a 2,800 mAh battery inside. However, the Round doesn't support Samsung's S Pen, so it won't have the same stylus capabilities as the more note-taking oriented Galaxy Note.

If you're in Korea and want to pick up the Galaxy Round, it'll set you back one million won, or around $1,000. Initially it'll only be available on SK Telecom, starting as soon as tomorrow, and there's no plans for an international roll-out.

Permalink to story.

I'm always surprised at how fast Samsung can roll out new devices. I'll admit, I don't know much about South Korea, do they sleep over there?

Agreed, what the heck is the point? I mean common, is it really worth making a whole new phone just so that it feels more comfortable in your pocket by following the general curvature of your leg?!?! Because that's about the only advantage that I can see here.

Now what on earth is the advantage of this display?

no one knows... it's why Samsung (at least, I think it was Samsung) created a contest with awards to anyone who could think of a good idea of how to use a flexible screen.

I think they could make for good decorations... like if they covered support pillars in public buildings with curved screens and displayed something like water with fish in it. That's about it though... I don't think anyone has any plans for a flexi-screen revolution.

Samsung knows there really a game-changer application for the flexible glass, yet. That is why they released this phone for their own domestic market. They're testing it to see if consumers can provide that practical advantage for it. Japanese companies have been doing this in the past.. I can remember seeing about 60 types of Sony Walkmans with different features, but only for the domestic market.

Well I am 6'4" and I'm sure for other people like me with oven mitts for hands, would appreciate this the most. I currently have a Galaxy S3 and really enjoy it (coming from a Torch 9800 bleh) but a curved, larger device that's lighter than the Note3, 2800ma and 3gigRAM on a 2.3g quad /w an ac dipole to finally test out my new router? Sold.

Well I am 6'4" and I'm sure for other people like me with oven mitts for hands, would appreciate this the most. I currently have a Galaxy S3 and really enjoy it (coming from a Torch 9800 bleh) but a curved, larger device that's lighter than the Note3, 2800ma and 3gigRAM on a 2.3g quad /w an ac dipole to finally test out my new router? Sold.

Pity you'll to have to go to Korea to fetch one and then there's no guarantee it'll work in the States.

Samsung knows there really a game-changer application for the flexible glass, yet. That is why they released this phone for their own domestic market. They're testing it to see if consumers can provide that practical advantage for it. Japanese companies have been doing this in the past.. I can remember seeing about 60 types of Sony Walkmans with different features, but only for the domestic market.

You could be right.

Agreed, what the heck is the point? I mean common, is it really worth making a whole new phone just so that it feels more comfortable in your pocket by following the general curvature of your leg?!?! Because that's about the only advantage that I can see here.
You know, people just need their phone to fit PERFECTLY when they hold it ***sarcasm***.

Think about all the phones you have seen with a cracked screen. Myself I usually ask them what happened and the most common answer is it slipped out of my hand and landed flat on the ground/pavement. If that's the case then the with the curved surface there is less to hit/touch the ground/pavement. Re-enforce the edges and you may have a winner.

Think about all the phones you have seen with a cracked screen. Myself I usually ask them what happened and the most common answer is it slipped out of my hand and landed flat on the ground/pavement. If that's the case then the with the curved surface there is less to hit/touch the ground/pavement. Re-enforce the edges and you may have a winner.

Interesting thought to an otherwise simple solution. Buy a cheap phone case... some people are just careless with their money... I never break my devices! Good lord, I spend enough money on them!!! lol
:)

I'm always surprised at how fast Samsung can roll out new devices. I'll admit, I don't know much about South Korea, do they sleep over there?

Could be due to the North South divide. The south being the very poor full of shanty towns and the north looks like any other wealthy city such as London, Paris etc. Because of this Samsung has a huge mass of labour available who are all willing to work for many hours and in many cases little pay.

Anyone remember the race that was to get away from the curved CRTs and into the flat panel display market? That having been said, as a very happy Note 2 owner, I could totally picture the benefit of a larger device having a curve to it. Easier to hold and carry around, and for some people, getting a case for such a big device just isn't a practical or desirable option. I wonder if the future of devices will have a curved version available as well as flat, or if they take one model and start to roll out curved displays across the line.

Wouldn't it wobble side to side when using it flat on a desk? Doesn't seem like such a practical application.

Wouldn't it wobble side to side when using it flat on a desk? Doesn't seem like such a practical application.
from the pictures I kinda see a flat surface on the back of it that curves towards the edges so I don't think it will wobble, but I need to put it on a table to be sure. pictures can lie.

Back