TechSpot

Samsung NP-NF210 persistent power problem

By JimJim2025
Mar 8, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. I'm having a really tough time with a netbook that I just bought from someone on a Facebook buy n sell group. I've followed all the troubleshooting tips that I could find from various online websites and forums. This is my first time posting about a tech issue on any forum and I hope you good folks can help me solve this issue. I also want to say thank you in advance to everyone here for lending your time. Well, here goes...

I have a Samsung NP-NF210 netbook with 2 GB RAM in an unusable state. It exhibits the following issues:
    -powering off by itself
    -very hard to even get it to turn on and display anything
    -will run for just a few minutes at a time and then shut off, maybe 10 minutes max, but usually shuts off within 2 minutes
    -not overheating at all, its running very quiet and cool

Additional details:
    The laptop sometimes refuses to turn on at all, however, I still see some led status lights turn on, but nothing comes on the display. I have been able to get it to turn on for a short period after disassembling the laptop and disconnecting all connectors on the motherboard and then reassembling. It also sometimes turns on again after reseating the memory a few times. This still leads to the power shutting off after 2 minutes or so. When the laptop does turn on, the cpu fan does not start spinning immediately. It usually takes about 30 seconds and then turns on.

Troubleshooting done:
    -reseated memory and tried several different ram sticks
    -tried using a guitar pick to hold the memory more firmly in the socket
    -disconnected all connectors on the motherboard
    -reset cmos battery
    -verified ac adapter for continuity and voltage, voltage being supplied is 19.06 +-0.02 volts
    -I am pretty sure that I am using the original manufacturers ac adapter and it is rated for 19 volts
    -I cleaned the cpu fan and inside of the laptop from all dust and debris
    -applied new arctic silver 5 thermal paste to cpu, cleaned off old paste with 70% isopropyl alcohol
    -removed hard drive and tested with a known good working hard drive

That's all the troubleshooting I have documented on this problem. Are there any details I forgot to include? Much obliged to everyone here. I eagerly await your assistance :)

Jim

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +201

I have the Samsung 220n netbook and although I have upgraded it as far as possible it is pretty abyssmal in performance terms. Assuming you got this item very cheaply maybe think about binning it. I've just taken a Canon printer to the recycling that I bought second hand and wasted umpteem hours trying to fix. You are to be complemented on the trouble you have taken to investigate the issue.

3. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +309

I think I would agree with bazz2004. I think there are at least two issues. Easiest, I would consider a close look at the power switch and its connection to the motherboard - you may need a new power switch. Other, I think there are failing components or possibly cold solder joint / cracked solder joint on the motherboard (caused by overheating in the dark past). A very close and careful examination of the motherboard might give a solution - but these are really hard to find (and why some folks try the 'hot oven' treatment to reflow the solder).

bazz2004 likes this.