TechSpot

Samsung officially announces pint-sized version of flagship Galaxy S5

By Shawn Knight
Jul 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Do you like the Galaxy S5 but don't want to lug around a phone that is quite that large or pay that much? Fret not, as Samsung has officially announced a pint-sized version of its current flagship, aptly known as...

Read more

2. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

So this is practically a Moto G with "better" camera and microSD support?

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,519   +2,060

Lets face it, how much different can it be? They're all basically the same with some irrelevant, unnoticable changes here and there. All it boils down to is which one tickles your fancy (and wallet). If you're using a slightly older model phone in this league, what's the point of buying this? But if it's your 1st smartphone or you're coming from a really cheapo Android, it makes perfect sense.
    That said, given the choice between this and the full S5, I'd take this mainly because you're not missing out on much, more convenient size and most importantly, price.

SantistaUSA likes this.
  4. Kibaruk

And what is the price?? If it where in the same price range as the Moto G that would be awesome, but since it's the latest and hyped galaxy I assume it will cost a ton more having almost the same specs.

That was the point of my post.

mosu likes this.
  5. Read the last sentence of the article.

6. Kibaruk

No kidding how did I miss it... so it's a Moto G just at double the asking price. Cool story.

7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

correct me if I'm wrong, there is no LTE radio in this ~400$ mini-me model?

8. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 861   +340

Well it's a tad bit faster, it makes quite a difference if you want to play some more demanding games.

9. Kibaruk

Quad at 1,4 S5 mini vs quad 1,2 Moto G. For that you would pay a premium of $200?

10. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 861   +340

Depends on which CPU is in S5 mini. It's not only about the clock speed, GPU is probably faster aswell, and it has a slightly better camera and more RAM. Maybe it's not worth $200 more but it's close. Would I pay the premium? Hell no, but lots of people will because it's Samsung and like iPhone, it's always overpriced.

11. Kibaruk

Probably it has some software improving performance, battery save and what-not, but they are offering a sort of standard product for nowadays standards asking for a premium price, this is the stone in my shoe :p

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

You ALWAYS pay more just for a name even if it's product is no better than a competing product although I'm sure iFans wouldn't agree.

13. Skidmarksdeluxe

I also suffer from the same phobia you're suffering from so I know what you're saying but hey, you pays your money and you takes your choice, and you can have it in any colour you want as long as it's black (just kidding about the last statement);)