Samsung preparing high refresh rate 3440 x 1440 monitors

Scorpus

Staff member

According to a report from OC3D, Samsung are preparing to release some high refresh rate 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitors, which will be among the first in the world to support DisplayPort 1.3.

Samsung's new monitors will be available in 30- and 35-inch variants, both with 144 Hz refresh rates and VA panels. Unfortunately it seems that at this stage, IPS technology at this resolution and refresh rate isn't possible, although VA technology is definitely an upgrade over standard TN panels.

To drive a panel that contains nearly 5 million pixels at 144 Hz, Samsung has needed to use a DisplayPort 1.3 connector. Most current graphics cards don't support DisplayPort 1.3, but it's expected to become a key new feature of both Nvidia and AMD's upcoming products, which are set for release around the same time as these monitors.

There's not a whole lot more information to go on, aside from launch dates: the 30-inch model is expected to hit the market in Q3 of this year, while the 35-inch model will be available slightly earlier, in Q2. There's a chance that these monitors will support variable refresh rates, considering Samsung's previous pledge to use the technology, but it hasn't been confirmed.

With specifications that include 144 Hz and 3440 x 1440, these new Samsung monitors probably won't come cheap. However, ultrawide displays are increasing in popularity for gamers, so panels like these will definitely decrease in price over the coming years.

Permalink to story.

I have a GTX 980ti running a Dell 34inch Curved Display, which is nice enough for gaming. But do notice refresh rates in many areas of gaming becomes a problem. 60mhz is not enough for todays gaming. Kinda wish I would have waited.

But, you know how that goes. Keep waiting for the latest and greatest will still leave you behind.

I have a GTX 980ti running a Dell 34inch Curved Display, which is nice enough for gaming. But do notice refresh rates in many areas of gaming becomes a problem. 60mhz is not enough for todays gaming. Kinda wish I would have waited.

But, you know how that goes. Keep waiting for the latest and greatest will still leave you behind.

600,000 FPS isn't enough for you?

600,000 FPS isn't enough for you?
60hz lol. My bad! I always think Mega!

Back