Samsung recalls 2.8 million washing machines over injury risks

midian182

Staff member

When you’re going through a difficult patch, never assume that things can’t get worse. After the horrific Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, Samsung probably thought nothing else could go wrong this year. But the company just announced that it would recall about 2.8 million of its top-load washing machines in the US, following reports that 733 of the units violently shook themselves to pieces.

According to a US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announcement, “The washing machine top can unexpectedly detach from the washing machine chassis during use, posing a risk of injury from impact.”

There have been nine recorded instances of people being hurt by the machines, including a broken jaw, injured shoulder, and other impact or fall-related injuries.

Elliot Kaye, the chairman of the CPSC, said the tops of the units weren’t “secured enough based on a design failure. And the top just completely blows off.”

Back in September, it was reported that the CPSC was working with Samsung to address safety issues related to some of the machines. It seems things have escalated since then, leading to today’s announcement.

The recall affects 34 models that were sold from March 2011 to November 2016. Owners should contact Samsung immediately; they will be offered the option of a free in-home repair to reinforce the machine’s top – along with a year-long extension of their warranty - or a rebate that can be used against a new washing machine, including those not made by Samsung. Anyone who bought a machine in the 30 days can opt for a full refund.

Samsung faced a class-action lawsuit earlier this year from customers who said their washing machines had exploded – a recurring theme for some of the company’s products.

Permalink to story.

I was with my girlfriend last month looking for a washer/ dryer combo. The Samsungs were "nice", but I choose Whirlpool or Kenmore instead for my appliances.

I don't want anything from Samsung anymore beyond the EVO SSD 4TB I had to purchase for my Workstation. No exploding materials in those...

I was with my girlfriend last month looking for a washer/ dryer combo. The Samsungs were "nice", but I choose Whirlpool or Kenmore instead for my appliances.

I don't want anything from Samsung anymore beyond the EVO SSD 4TB I had to purchase for my Workstation. No exploding materials in those...
YOU NEVER KNOW, maybe there will be a short in a memory chip that causes it to rapidly heat up and combust. #reallynotreally

I know my 950 Pro thought about doing that before I put chipset heatsinks on it... now it's 10+ celsius cooler ha ha ha...

EcdcotG.jpg

I'm just glad they don't sell stock on the NYSE, I might have been tempted to pick up some after last years numbers ....... "missed it by THAT much"

Wow... I didn't know top loaders were still a thing. The last time I saw a washer THAT wrecked was on youtube and it was being spun with bricks in it.

They are offering me a $445 rebate if I get a non-Samsung washer, and $545 if I get a Samsung brand.

Mailed in 4-6 weeks after I buy a new one and send in the rebate form. :)

Wow... I didn't know top loaders were still a thing. The last time I saw a washer THAT wrecked was on youtube and it was being spun with bricks in it.
Top loaders are preferable. Front loaders are problematic. Mold and frankly why bend over or have to buy something to raise it. Front loaders are a status gimmick like phones. The masses are easily duped

Top loaders are preferable. Front loaders are problematic. Mold and frankly why bend over or have to buy something to raise it. Front loaders are a status gimmick like phones. The masses are easily duped
Status gimmick! Lmao. I'm from the uk were most people don't have a laundry room, we need our front load white goods to fit under worktops in our kitchens. We used to have top loaders called "twin tubs" but those died out in the eighties and were just as susceptible to mold as any front loader is. Also I dont have to bend over to load it... I have knee's, admittedly they are a bit creeky now but they still work.

I've had a front load Samsung washer and dryer for 3+ years with basically no issues.
Not sure what model they are off the top of my head.

(The thermistor went out in the dryer but it was covered)
All of my other appliances (Stove, Microwave, Dishwasher, Fridge) are all Whirlpool brand in black. I wanted Whirlpool but $2500 for a washer and dryer seemed a little steep.

Status gimmick! Lmao. I'm from the uk were most people don't have a laundry room, we need our front load white goods to fit under worktops in our kitchens. We used to have top loaders called "twin tubs" but those died out in the eighties and were just as susceptible to mold as any front loader is. Also I dont have to bend over to load it... I have knee's, admittedly they are a bit creeky now but they still work.

BREXIT ! Baby!!

So you bend over? I don't.

BREXIT ! Baby!!

So you bend over? I don't.
What does brexit have to do with anything? Any way we are not worrying about that over here... were too busy laughing at the sh!t show you guys are running between the snake lady and the orangutan. If drumph gets in will he get George w's old tire swing?

What does brexit have to do with anything? Any way we are not worrying about that over here... were too busy laughing at the sh!t show you guys are running between the snake lady and the orangutan. If drumph gets in will he get George w's old tire swing?

Yea it's pretty cool. Trump 2016 !!!!!! What does Brexit have to do with anything? Anything? Youse guys....

Are you drunk?

I simply love to post. esp when some foreigner slams my country. God Bless America. Trump 2016 ! Brexit NOW! and I love my top loader. Thanks for adding to the discussion. Why do you have orange Death as your avatar? I prefer life.

I simply love to post. esp when some foreigner slams my country. God Bless America. Trump 2016 ! Brexit NOW! and I love my top loader. Thanks for adding to the discussion. Why do you have orange Death as your avatar? I prefer life.

Sorry troll feeding times over.

Back