Samsung refreshes Notebook 9 line of lightweight laptops

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show announced two new additions to its Notebook 9 series of lightweight laptops. This time around, the South Korean electronics giant isn’t waiting until January to let the cat out of the bag.

On Monday, Samsung took the wraps off refreshed versions of its 13.3-inch and 15-inch Notebook 9 laptops packing faster hardware and a slightly different look.

Like the models they’re replacing, the latest Notebook 9 systems are incredibly lightweight. The smaller machine checks in at just 1.8 pounds which, according to Samsung, makes it the lightest notebook on the market. The 15-incher, however, may be even more impressive as it tips the scales at only 2.17 pounds. Apple’s slim MacBook with a 12-inch display, for comparison, checks in at 2.03 pounds.

As for hardware, the new Notebook 9 can be configured with up to a seventh-generation Intel Core i7 processor with integrated graphics, 16GB of RAM and 256GB of solid state storage. Bluetooth 4.1 and 802.11 ac 2x2 Wi-Fi come standard, as do the dual 1.5-watt speakers, 720p webcam, fingerprint sensor and backlit keyboard.

Both systems include two USB 3.0 ports, one USB Type-C port, a microSD card slot and headphone / microphone jack. They’ll ship running Windows 10 Home in just one color which Samsung calls Light Tan. Battery life is rated at up to seven hours on a single charge, we’re told.

Aside from the shared graphics, the only thing that really stands out as being ho-hum is the 1,920 x 1,080 resolution display. Given the size of the panels, however, this likely won’t be a deal-breaker for most prospective buyers.

Samsung hasn’t yet revealed how much the newcomers will cost or when they’ll go on sale. These details and more will likely emerge at CES 2017 a few weeks from now.

Permalink to story.

Buy the new Samsung firestarters! It's the best way to heat up your home during the winter!
Another bad joke from a GED graduate. You need to get a refund for the $1.99 McDonalds education.

Samsung has not had any issues with their laptops. Lenovo, the world leader in computers wouldn't be trying to buy their PCs if they had issues.

GED types aren't really "graduates" ... just to be clear.

A GED is more or less a participation trophy.

Samsung laptops are worst in updating drivers and solving software related bugs. just take a look at their drivers section. buy from a company who has good track in laptops.

Samsung laptops are worst in updating drivers and solving software related bugs. just take a look at their drivers section. buy from a company who has good track in laptops.
That's just about all manufacturers not just Samsung. All of them have outdated drivers after a year, some even before that.

There is no one that has a good track record. If one existed it might be Apple. HP, Lenovo, HP n Dell all have track records of bad drivers, numerous charger issues and all have software problems. So there goes your good track record theory.

You guys are like old men who are grumpy all the time if a single joke like that triggered you. :D
Triggered, what are you 5? Only one who may have been triggered is you since you replied when you didn't have to.
I stated fact, you just made stuff up about Samsung.

Triggered, what are you 5? Only one who may have been triggered is you since you replied when you didn't have to.
I stated fact, you just made stuff up about Samsung.
wow dude. you do realise that I was just making a joke right? what do "facts" have to do with jokes? do you also take fart jokes seriously?
yes, you are clearly triggered really hard and I find it hilarious :D
samsung and apple fanboys are always fun to troll since it's so easy to trigger them. it's so much fun.

That's just about all manufacturers not just Samsung. All of them have outdated drivers after a year, some even before that.

There is no one that has a good track record. If one existed it might be Apple. HP, Lenovo, HP n Dell all have track records of bad drivers, numerous charger issues and all have software problems. So there goes your good track record theory.

chill samsung fan. Im not sure were are you getting your facts. Among all laptop manufacturers, samsung laptops have the worst support ever. That include firmwares, drivers and their crappy softwares. Those brands you mentioned are in the laptop business for more than 10years and at least some of them backs up their product. Let us not talk about track record here as your samsung brand is in the lowest for sure.

wow dude. you do realise that I was just making a joke right? what do "facts" have to do with jokes? do you also take fart jokes seriously?
yes, you are clearly triggered really hard and I find it hilarious :D
samsung and apple fanboys are always fun to troll since it's so easy to trigger them. it's so much fun.
I find it funny you think you could trigger anyone. No one said I was a fanboy, you just like assuming so. I use a lot of products from various companies, kinda hard to be a fanboy when you own them all.

chill samsung fan. Im not sure were are you getting your facts. Among all laptop manufacturers, samsung laptops have the worst support ever. That include firmwares, drivers and their crappy softwares. Those brands you mentioned are in the laptop business for more than 10years and at least some of them backs up their product. Let us not talk about track record here as your samsung brand is in the lowest for sure.
If you think Samsung has any worse customer service than Dell or almost any other manufacturer then your living in a dream world. May want to wake from that fantasy.

So if I'm a fan boy, I guess you and the other guy are just haters? If I'm a fan boy as you say, then yall just hatin. Yall must be haters then.

I find it funny you think you could trigger anyone. No one said I was a fanboy, you just like assuming so. I use a lot of products from various companies, kinda hard to be a fanboy when you own them all.
ok, I understand now. you DO think fart jokes are serious business. I don't see any other reason why you would get triggered by something like this :D

Back