TechSpot

Samsung retaliates, petitions ITC to block Nvidia chips from US market

1. A few weeks after filing a lawsuit, Samsung has filed a complaint with the International Trade Commission, asking it to block the sales of graphics processors made by Nvidia in the US market. The complaint also names other companies including...

Read more

2. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 865   +434

"Nvidia termed the lawsuit "a predictable tactic.""

So I guess companies are supposed to just turn around and bend over for Nvidia, huh?

Seems Nvidia may be on the Apple bandwagon - stifle innovation and kill competition. Didn't they do something similar a few years back? I can't remember to which company though.

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 1,663   +774

As we look back over the years of suits between technical companies, it would just as profitable for them to throw ALL their profits into a bucket and divide it up at the end of the year! Only the lawyers come out ahead in these things .....

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

The ITC should turn around and say "You're both acting like little children now and we're going to do nothing about it, sort it out between yourselves".
    That would quickly shake up these lawsuit happy companies.

5. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 481   +159

Ehm... no, not Apple. If you have been following the case from the beginning: is the first lawsuit from NVIDIA in all of its company history; they were negotiating with Qualcomm and Samsung a licensing fee, but after months of nothing they took the lawsuit as a last resource.

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,691   +1,879

So then, this is the monopoly kettle calling the monopoly pot black? :oops:

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Surprisingly yes, it is the first patent suit that Nvidia have filed.
    What is amusing is that Samsung for all their great wealth and influence, have a legal team made up of circus clowns by the look of it. When the case was first lodged, I read through the patents involved, and the second patent referenced (6,282,938), actually references a patent that has expired due to Samsung failing to pay the fee to keep it valid.

Maybe all Samsung's good legal counsel personnel were still tied up with the river/port and high speed rail bid rigging cases Samsung were being prosecuted for by the Korean FTC as well as the ongoing struggles against Apple.

8. EEatGDL

Thanks for the gramatical correction ("this") dbz, english is not my native language and sometimes something slips. Haha, awesome investigation -I've always wondered: what is your degree exactly?

9. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Your written English still puts many native English speakers to shame, and is far removed from the grammatical abominations that some people churn out ;)

My degree has nothing to do with tech. City & Guilds Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts (w/Distinction) - the equivalent of a Masters Degree with first class honours...for cooking. Like most degree's, it might be a foot in the door, but other than that it's just a sheaf of papers.

The tech interest comes from school (back in the late 70's), and one of my first jobs which required maintenance, coding, and data processing with automobile-sized mainframes (Burroughs and Honeywell).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  10. EEatGDL

Wow, I always thought it was journalism, specialized in technology or something among those lines. What a hobby you have then.

11. EEatGDL

I just looked up what is Velocity Micro and it's a shame. It's BS from Samsung's part, it's like sueing any random custom PC-builder (like Origin or any other) -WTF!!