Samsung reveals the W789 Android flip-phone, keeps the past alive

By Scorpus
Aug 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. With bar-type, touchscreen smartphones becoming more popular each and every day, seeing a flip-phone on the streets is now a rare occurrence. Samsung doesn't want to let the form factor die, however, and is releasing a brand new Android-powered flip-phone...

Read more
  2. Throw a $100 price tag on there and we'll be seeing flip phones everywhere.
  3. I gave my old Motorola flip phone to my brother and he won't give it back. Now I'm stuck with my Samsung C3050 slider, which is better than any dumb-*** smart phone but not nearly as good as a flip. I tried an LG LP and Nokia 521 and sent them back. This new Samsung offering sounds great, but if it's Android you know it has to be just another bloatphone.
  4. Nobina

Nobina TechSpot Booster Posts: 356   +69

I'd say that 1.2 quad core CPU for a 320x480 is an overkill. It's probably gonna be expensive since it has 2 displays and because of the higher end CPU. Bringing back flip phones is kinda nice.
    JC713 likes this.
  5. RenGood08

RenGood08 TechSpot Booster Posts: 191   +13

Well, considering it's not going to be released in the Western Market. Maybe not even right away. It is likely it will only be China with these phones.
  6. ArthurZ

ArthurZ Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

Must be a move to target teens
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,797   +882

Yeah. The concept is cool but the specs and probably the price will be overkill.
  8. henryjhealy

henryjhealy Newcomer, in training

They put a quad-core in this and a dual-core in the S4 mini. Samsung logic.
  9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TechSpot Maniac Posts: 897   +52

I can't think of any teenagers I've seen with a flip phone, I'd say it more targeted towards the older non tech savy crowd.
  10. This kind of phone targeting for asia only, especially japan and south korea.. some of them still prefer flip phone style
  11. Nobina

Nobina TechSpot Booster Posts: 356   +69

You can't cause right now there aren't any. Even if you wanted to buy a flip phone, it would be hard to find since it is really old so nobody sells it. But a couple of years ago, they were quite popular.
    ArthurZ likes this.

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,914   +724

Clamshell phones. I haven't seen one for a while now. I wouldn't mind seeing them back in fashion.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.