Samsung sold 40 percent fewer Galaxy S5 smartphones than anticipated

Shawn Knight

Staff member

galaxy s5 samsung wsj smartphone sales

Samsung executives had high hopes for the Galaxy S5 in light of the tremendous success of its predecessor. The company produced roughly 20 percent more handsets than it did for the S4 but in the end, Samsung sold about 40 percent fewer S5 smartphones than anticipated.

The bullish projection was largely based on numbers from a survey of wireless carrier partners according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. In it, carriers were asked to predict demand for the phone but the problem lied in the fact that carriers weren’t responsible for any unsold devices. Instead of facing the possibility of shortages, carriers aimed high.

galaxy s5 samsung wsj smartphone sales

Ultimately, Samsung sold fewer than forecasted which led to excess inventory in warehouses. To try and move the extra phones, Sammy had to allocate additional funds to marketing.

In terms of numbers, Samsung is said to have sold roughly 12 million S5 smartphones in the first three months since its April launch. In comparison, Samsung sold about 16 million S4 units during the three-month period following its launch a year earlier in 2013.

Sources tell the publication that Samsung sold more Galaxy S5 smartphones than it did the S4 in just one market, the US. In Samsung’s largest market by revenue, China, sales of the S5 were down 50 percent during the first six months after launch.

Mismanagement of the Galaxy S5 is just one aspect of the overall picture that has led Samsung to where it is today. Other factors including an employee count that absolutely dwarfs the competition and a massive product portfolio have the company contemplating a major management shake-up.

Permalink to story.

Considering the price tag and the fact that the smartphone market is pretty much staturated at this point, this doesn't really surprise me. Most people will make their phones last longer too because we don't see that much performance increase between phones anymore. For example I'm perfectly happy with my LG Optimus G and it's fast and everything and I like it quite a lot more than my job's iphone 5s. All this with the fact that the Optimus G is the predecessor of the LG G2, and I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

Not surprised. The Galaxy line has stagnated.
Piss on TouchWiz. Piss on plastic. Piss on their screen tech.
GS II was an amazing phone for it's time but all the follow-on products
seems so stuck in the past.

LG F T W !

Thats good, now there will be a surplus of S5's on the market and prices will plummet dramatically when they release it's successor and thats the time to scoop up one. I'll keep an eye on the situation and perhaps replace my S3 with one if the price is right. I buy consumer goods like this with my head (and cash, no contracts) not my heart.

I think a lot of Samsung fans have switched over to their Note phablet. The Note 4 is clearly better than the S5 in every way, plus it has that nice aluminum frame everyone has been clamoring for. Hell, in my opinion the Note 3 is better than the S5 due to the fact that it features the wonderful S pen and has 1GB more of RAM to boot. I also appreciate the bigger screen as well.

While some folks were turned off by the size of the Galaxy Note phones, this is less of an issue today as the S5 has a 5.1 inch screen, compared to the Note 3's 5.7 inch screen. The Note 4 also has a 5.7 inch screen but has a slightly slimmer profile than the Note 3, making it comparable to the S5 in overall size.

I wanted an S5 but it would have cost me $230 with a 2 year so I got my newer Blackmist S4 (Snapdragon 600 @ 1.9GHz/Adreno 320 @ 450Mhz) for $50. 1080p and a 5" screen is perfect for me so I am happy.

Agree with @slamscaper, the Note is their flagship now. We said when the S4 came out that if you wanted a premium phone, buy the HTC One, if you wanted battery life and faster guts, buy the LG G2. If you want the phone everyone who buys based on TV commercials, buy the S4. Now that we're a generation later it's pretty much the same. The S5 didn't change any of that. The Note is their standout smartphone.

Cut the price, try to match Xiaomi, it will drive up the sales. Samsung still produce one of the best Android phone, but most people are not willing to pay such high price.

Back