TechSpot

Samsung sold 40 percent fewer Galaxy S5 smartphones than anticipated

By Shawn Knight
Nov 24, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung executives had high hopes for the Galaxy S5 in light of the tremendous success of its predecessor. The company produced roughly 20 percent more handsets than it did for the S4 but in the end, Samsung sold about 40 percent fewer S5...

Read more

2. Seraphim401

Seraphim401 TS Enthusiast Posts: 58   +12

Get rid of Knox!

3. S_Brideau

S_Brideau TS Rookie Posts: 65

Considering the price tag and the fact that the smartphone market is pretty much staturated at this point, this doesn't really surprise me. Most people will make their phones last longer too because we don't see that much performance increase between phones anymore. For example I'm perfectly happy with my LG Optimus G and it's fast and everything and I like it quite a lot more than my job's iphone 5s. All this with the fact that the Optimus G is the predecessor of the LG G2, and I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

4. MoeJoe

MoeJoe TS Maniac Posts: 401   +208

Not surprised. The Galaxy line has stagnated.
    Piss on TouchWiz. Piss on plastic. Piss on their screen tech.
    GS II was an amazing phone for it's time but all the follow-on products
    seems so stuck in the past.

LG F T W !

5. trparky

trparky TS Booster Posts: 156   +58

I'd have to agree with you on that. And they should get rid of locked bootloaders while they're at it too.

Android is supposed to be an open platform, if you need security... go with Crapple.

Seraphim401 likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

Thats good, now there will be a surplus of S5's on the market and prices will plummet dramatically when they release it's successor and thats the time to scoop up one. I'll keep an eye on the situation and perhaps replace my S3 with one if the price is right. I buy consumer goods like this with my head (and cash, no contracts) not my heart.

7. slamscaper

slamscaper TS Booster Posts: 161   +26

I think a lot of Samsung fans have switched over to their Note phablet. The Note 4 is clearly better than the S5 in every way, plus it has that nice aluminum frame everyone has been clamoring for. Hell, in my opinion the Note 3 is better than the S5 due to the fact that it features the wonderful S pen and has 1GB more of RAM to boot. I also appreciate the bigger screen as well.

While some folks were turned off by the size of the Galaxy Note phones, this is less of an issue today as the S5 has a 5.1 inch screen, compared to the Note 3's 5.7 inch screen. The Note 4 also has a 5.7 inch screen but has a slightly slimmer profile than the Note 3, making it comparable to the S5 in overall size.

MilwaukeeMike likes this.
  8. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

I wanted an S5 but it would have cost me $230 with a 2 year so I got my newer Blackmist S4 (Snapdragon 600 @ 1.9GHz/Adreno 320 @ 450Mhz) for $50. 1080p and a 5" screen is perfect for me so I am happy.

9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,107

Agree with @slamscaper, the Note is their flagship now. We said when the S4 came out that if you wanted a premium phone, buy the HTC One, if you wanted battery life and faster guts, buy the LG G2. If you want the phone everyone who buys based on TV commercials, buy the S4. Now that we're a generation later it's pretty much the same. The S5 didn't change any of that. The Note is their standout smartphone.

10. Cut the price, try to match Xiaomi, it will drive up the sales. Samsung still produce one of the best Android phone, but most people are not willing to pay such high price.