Samsung T1 Portable SSD Review: A shrunken, USB-powered 850 Evo

Steve

Staff member

samsung t1 portable ssd review usb-powered evo samsung storage ssd t1 portable ssd

As important as cloud storage technology has become for businesses and individuals, there's still plenty of demand for mobile storage devices. Flash-based thumb drives have come a long way, but while a 16GB stick can be purchased with spare change, those who need to move large volumes of data on without spending an arm and a leg (500GB and over) have traditionally had to rely on comparatively sluggish USB 3.0 hard drives. 

Many companies have tried to solve this issue with countless external SSD solutions, though few have been great, either offering weak performance or being grossly overpriced -- that is until now. Thanks to Samsung, we may finally have an external SSD that delivers blisteringly fast transfers at an affordable price in the form of its new T1 Portable SSD.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn sluggish usb 3.0 drives, faster than my LGA1366 X58 sata 2.0 ports

3.0 is sluggish? shows what I know lol
I was thinking the same thing
traditionally had to rely on comparatively sluggish USB 3.0 hard drives
USB 3.0 (5G) is nearly as fast as SATA 3.0 (6G). So unless you are actually referring to HDD being sluggish in comparison to SSD, I'm not sure what the reference is.

This statement is more likely referring to traditional platter hard drives that happen to use USB 3.0 to max out the drives throughput. Typically that is less than 150MB/s read/write if I remember correctly, which a far cry from USB 3.0's theoretical maximum. Using an SSD would make far better use of the throughput.

I actually did this kind of thing myself... Last year I had an mSATA SSD from a laptop that I was replacing for larger, and bought an mSATA enclosure from MyDigitalSSD. I'm a huge fan of it's diminutive size and and when compared to USB3 Flash drives, far superior performance. Interestingly enough the enclosure I got is not only more durable with an aluminum design, but (I believe) smaller to boot.

3.0 is sluggish? shows what I know lol
I was thinking the same thing
USB 3.0 (5G) is nearly as fast as SATA 3.0 (6G). So unless you are actually referring to HDD being sluggish in comparison to SSD, I'm not sure what the reference is.

USB 3.0 hard drives, aka 2.5" laptop drives are sluggish and yeah they are.

Just to clarify that statement didn't say USB 3.0 as an interface was slow.

Last edited:
For me the plastic case is a HUGE turn off. Portable drives are meant to take a punch or two, since you are moving it it will likely get crushed sooner than later. Also considering the small package it should be a cheap investment to put it inside a hard acrilic case or what not, bad move on Samsung there.

For me the plastic case is a HUGE turn off. Portable drives are meant to take a punch or two, since you are moving it it will likely get crushed sooner than later. Also considering the small package it should be a cheap investment to put it inside a hard acrilic case or what not, bad move on Samsung there.

Got to agree with you there, particularly considering the price point. Of course, in a years time the price will fall as more competitors enter the market place and portability doesn't mean much when it's not near-indestructible. Haven't been through a TSA checkpoint in awhile ... since it can't be disassembled and the power/energy/size for one of these loaded with simtec would be huge, I wonder if TSA will regulate or prohibit them?

All in all it's a great advancement. I think once they get some of these items addressed it will be a big seller.

Seems like an awesome option for people needing speed on the go. Hopefully version 2 brings an improved and sturdier enclosure and a longer warranty.

I would like to ask you some questions, not about this article, but rather what you do as a writer, and whether other web sites are able to re-print your articles. If this is not the place where I should ask those questions, please advise the appropriate manner you would prefer.

Back