Samsung teases 4K OLED and shows off massive 98-inch & 110-inch Ultra HDTVs

Justin Kahn

At this year's IFA conference in Berlin, Samsung is showing off the massive 98 and 110-Inch Ultra HDTVs we were expecting. The company also teased its own 4K OLED display as well as introducing the world's first curved TV with UHD resolution.

Samsung teased a 4K OLED TV, much like the products Sony and Panasonic showed off at CES back in January. Like those sets, Samsung's OLED UHD TV is just a prototype, not a full blown product. Samsung said the tech present in the 4K OLED "represents an unprecedented leap forward for picture quality and sharp contrast with its self-emitting pixels and natural motion."

This morning Samsung unveiled a 98-Inch version of its ultra high-def S9 HDTV. The company previously launched an 85-Inch version that went on pre order back in March and showed off an 110-Inch version back at CES. The massive UHD TVs are more or less larger versions of the 85-Inch counterpart. You can expect the 98-Inch version to have a significantly larger price tag than the already outrageous $40,000, 85-Inch model.

samsung hdtvs uhd samsung uhd tv 4k oled resolution curved ifa cesThe company also showed off the S9C television that features a 55-inch curved OLED display. The set has the MultiView technology we previously heard about, which allows two different people to watch two different shows at the same time in full screen. Each person wears a set of glasses, not unlike your average 3D glasses, that will only pick up one show at a time. The glasses will also support 3D and have a separate audio feed through a built-in earpiece.

Additionally, Samsung revealed the world's first curved TV with UHD resolution in both 55 and 65-Inch versions. It uses your standard LED LCD display as opposed to OLED. On top of that, the company mentioned some pricing on the smaller F9000 UHD displays priced at about $5,270 and $7,900 for the 55-Inch and 65-Inch respectively.

While Samsung certainly had a great showing with its TVs, it was the $300 Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch that seems to be garnering most of the attention.

Permalink to story.

The set has the MultiView technology we previously heard about, which allows two different people to watch two different shows at the same time in full screen. Each person wears a set of glasses, not unlike your average 3D glasses, that will only pick up one show at a time.

Maybe this is why the Xbox One will allow for 8 controllers.

How does the audio work for two shows? I don't need any Downton Abbey mixing up my Game of Thrones.

I suppose with these price tags, the answers to my questions are about as important as knowing how the stereo sounds in a Ferrari.

This is just Samsung flexing their muscles. Whether all this will ever be commercially successful is anybody's guess but after seeing the prices... I'll leave it at that.

The set has the MultiView technology we previously heard about, which allows two different people to watch two different shows at the same time in full screen. Each person wears a set of glasses, not unlike your average 3D glasses, that will only pick up one show at a time.

Maybe this is why the Xbox One will allow for 8 controllers.

The crapbox lol. Really? PC gaming or nothing.

How does the audio work for two shows? I don't need any Downton Abbey mixing up my Game of Thrones.

I suppose with these price tags, the answers to my questions are about as important as knowing how the stereo sounds in a Ferrari.

...it was the $300 Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch that seems to be garnering most of the attention.

The capabilities of the watch are cool as hell, but the $300 price tag, the big honking camera that sticks out like a clowns' nose, and the pathetic battery life are massive deal breakers. I have my fingers crossed that Qualcomm does it better.

...it was the $300 Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch that seems to be garnering most of the attention.

The capabilities of the watch are cool as hell, but the $300 price tag, the big honking camera that sticks out like a clowns' nose, and the pathetic battery life are massive deal breakers. I have my fingers crossed that Qualcomm does it better.
yeah, battery life = 8 hours (if I'm not mistaken) = deal breaker (not that I'm interested)
maybe Samsung will introduce a solar battery charging feature via the screen of the smart watch (or via a 'wearable' smart shirt :) ).

Back