Samsung to arm Android handsets with built-in antivirus software

By David Tom
Sep 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. As mobile devices quickly become synonymous with a second computer (or even primary computer in some scenarios), the need for security is greater than ever. Samsung agrees with this ideology, and has teamed up with security firm Lookout to place...

Read more
  2. Divvet

Divvet TS Member Posts: 57   +19

I usually laugh at people who use an AV on android... Common sense is the best AV.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  3. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Booster Posts: 156   +31

Common sense or buy a iPhone
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

People run AV just in case. They may never get a virus but the thought of having one on backup is definitely important.This is a good move.

Well, yeah, but Android has some great features that iOS doesnt have and may better attract businesses.
  5. Even by exhibiting all of the common sense in the world with regards to internet usage, you still have a small chance of obtaining malware. Even if the chance is one in a billion, to forgo protection suggests a lack of common sense.
  6. If you think that iOS is malware-free, you need to educate yourself before you experience a serious let-down.
  7. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TS Booster Posts: 156   +31

Sounds like the odds of me being let down are slim according to a recent report:
    U.S. government finds 0.7% of all mobile malware affects iOS, while Android accounts for 79%
  8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Suffer a slow, laggy, unresponsive phone throughout the device lifetime?

Or have a nice new snappy device, which has backup solutions rivalling 'disk images', and on which are no working documents/files?

Damn, I know which I'd choose if chance of failure is 1 in billlion..
  9. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +411

I'm fine with this as long as it can be easily uninstalled.
  10. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +411

That 79% are most likely 100% of the people not sticking with getting their apps from the Play Store. So as long as Unknown Sources is unchecked, it's like having an iPhone... but way better!
  11. I'm glad that you have complete faith and trust in your Government...
  12. Do you also leave your doors unlocked at night?

Be sure to think about this topic when that "nice new snappy device" falls victim to malware.