Samsung to be ready when Android moves to 64-bit

By Shawn Knight
Feb 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Apple broke new ground last year by launching a 64-bit mobile processor, the first of its kind in the mobile industry. Since then, a number of other chip makers have put their 64-bit ambitions into overdrive to keep pace including...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

So what benefits will we the consumers see besides the number 32 being doubled?
  3. 4+ GB RAM maybe
  4. highlander84

highlander84 TS Booster Posts: 103   +24

My Note 3 has 3 gigs of ram... and seriously I can never see more being needed. Every time I check I'm only using like 1.5...
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Bragging rights over people with those 32 bit phones from like way back in 2013.
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,420   +470

He said, whether it's not needed it has demands... from whom you might ask? Hipsters who likes having rocket science on their hands to open instagram :p
  7. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 807   +270

Even the newest most powerfull phones have like 2-3GB of RAM. Who knows when will +4GB RAM be needed. But it's still future proofing I guess.
  8. Would Apple sue Samsung again for stealing their idea?
  9. Moving to 64 bit is a natural progression, it's not a new idea, but Apple gets the bragging rights for getting there first I suppose.
  10. Well, think about it. 32-bit OSes can use about 4 GB of RAM. We are already at 2+ GB of usage. 64-bit OSes can support multiple TB of RAM, more than is achievable in a few decades (watch me eat my words in 2020).
  11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Quoting this for hilariousness in a few years.
    highlander84 and cliffordcooley like this.
  12. highlander84

highlander84 TS Booster Posts: 103   +24

I hope in a few years I still have the same phone...unless I drop it or something ;) I approve the future quote! I remember when I got a 20gig HDD and said "Never again will I run out of space" Now I have over 8TB of storage :D
  13. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

64 bit can open the process with a new thread. if it crashes it does not affect the OS. The ram is not as big a deal on phones. Some of the posts here make me wonder if anyone knows computing at all.
  14. Mamoon69

Mamoon69 TS Rookie Posts: 18

Teach us please
  15. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,420   +470

Yeah I refrained myself to reply to him since it was only going to be trolling... but yes, he looks like he is a tech guru we can call master.

He must be seing something even the developers of the proc think it is not needed, then again he could be a genius and we are all missing something.