Samsung to shutter Boxee Cloud DVR on July 10th

By Shawn Knight
Jul 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The fallout from Samsung’s acquisition of Boxee has already begun as the company plans to shut down Boxee’s Cloud DVR service. The closure is scheduled to take place on July 10 at which time all customers will lose access to...

Read more
  2. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

I guess I never understood why spend 30 million and then change it to not even be the company they bought?
  3. CrisisDog

CrisisDog Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

Nice. I'm still waiting to see what became of Nvelo since Samsung bought them. Not a damn peep, probably killed them off in order to sell bigger capacity SSDs.
  4. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,714   +873

Doesnt surprise me. This is the fad.
  5. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TechSpot Maniac Posts: 488   +10

If you can integrate these technologies into the TV, who needs the box then. A good example of having it in the TV and not using the box is my PS3. I used to always watch Netflix on my PS3... it still has a superior implementation than my TV, but I'm able to access Netflix more than 30 seconds faster... probably a full minute because it comes on when my TV does.

The next step is to make the computer part of TVs modular so when hardware gets old they can swap it out. Less people will buy an entire new TV to run software, especially if the TV is not more than 4 years old and in great shape. They probably will not do it, so the set-top box come back again.
  6. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TechSpot Booster Posts: 279   +39

Why buy the company just to change it? Why not enter a partnership for the use of their technology? Samsung, you're becoming the big bad wolf.
  7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,714   +873

Patents! And concepts! And knowledge! They did not lay off anyone on the boxee team. They want their knowledge.
  8. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 329   +56

Brand names, patents, company talent, current and future ideas and other things.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.