TechSpot

Samsung TVs are just one example of the many devices we use with eavesdropping concerns

By Shawn Knight
Feb 19, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. The past week or so has been a PR nightmare for Samsung. After news spread regarding the company's questionable privacy policy as it relates to the voice recognition feature on some of its smart television sets, it's now being reported...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

There is nothing wrong with "eavesdropping" as long as it is appropriate. What I mean by this is the following: Amazon Echo serves a purpose to help the user out. As long as it doesn't transmit the info like SmartTVs do, then IMO it is fine. As long as it does its task appropriately (and doesn't transmit data inappropriately) and alerts the users to its intents, then it is fine.

Plus, why would someone buy the Echo if they are unaware that it is constantly listening. Someone buys it because they are aware of its purpose and don't mind it "eavesdropping".

coolazeem likes this.
  3. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Buying a Smart TV isn't very smart IMO.

4. Agreed. Unfortunately, non-Smart TVs are impossible to find these days.

5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

Not really. You just buy the leader item. I have a 46" "Insignia",(Best Buy house brand). I got it the Black Friday before last. It cost $330.00, at it's a stupid as a box full of rocks. It doesn't even have a program guide. I have to use Windows Media Center as a whazzon next? guide.

Anyway, I have a Toshiba Blu-Ray player. Every time you turn it on, it starts nagging that it isn't connected to the internet. Really, how stupid does it think I am?

The moral of the story is, hook up your TV to a simple antenna, and don't hook it to the web. Or is it just more convenient to come back here and whine about your privacy woes?